Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking to improve the handling and steering...

Re: looking to improve the handling and steering...

You can do it yourself, easy upgrade tbh with some time involved..maybe 2/5 banana hardness scale (lol).

You can buy the swaybar bushings and endlink bushings at most auto parts stores (I know the local pepboys has them) for cheap. The bumpstops, meh not really needed imho.

When you put it all together use a GENEROUS amount of high temp wheel bearing grease on all surfaces that could rub. Holes in the bushings, outside the bushing, the bar itself-no squeaks. The grease will attract dirt however and annually you should really take it all off, clean and regrease but its ok otherwise.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I know it's sin but please read through the following thread, really excellent reference points in there:

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/addco-ant...lution-117834/
    we have no beef w/ YT, just the d##che bag that "runs" that place. good tech, though

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    When you put it all together use a GENEROUS amount of high temp wheel bearing grease on all surfaces that could rub. Holes in the bushings, outside the bushing, the bar itself-no squeaks. The grease will attract dirt however and annually you should really take it all off, clean and regrease but its ok otherwise.
    x2, but if you use rubber bushings, use silicone grease (like di-electric/spark plug wire grease) - it won't cause the rubber to swell and degrade like petroleum based products do
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I know it's sin but please read through the following thread, really excellent reference points in there:

thank for the link. after reading that it looks like im going to be steering away from both ADDCO bars and polyurethane steering rack bushings. it sounds like the best thing to do would be to just buy new rubber OEM bushings for both the front and rear. thoughts? thanks for all the help guys.

2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition<br />Old Man Emu : Sonoran Steel : ToyTec : Nitto : Yakima:&nbsp; OEM

Quote Originally Posted by cros

thank for the link. after reading that it looks like im going to be steering away from both ADDCO bars and polyurethane steering rack bushings. it sounds like the best thing to do would be to just buy new rubber OEM bushings for both the front and rear. thoughts? thanks for all the help guys.

I believe the "polyurethane bushings" they refer to are the sway bar bushings, not the steering rack bushings...i've heard they can be squeaky, and nothing really to do about them except constant greasing.
    plus, i haven't heard a peep from the poly bushings in the steering rack i installed a month and a half ago.

1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
    Quote Originally Posted by cros

I believe the "polyurethane bushings" they refer to are the sway bar bushings, not the steering rack bushings...i've heard they can be squeaky, and nothing really to do about them except constant greasing.
    plus, i haven't heard a peep from the poly bushings in the steering rack i installed a month and a half ago.

*doh* that what i meant to say. yeah the Poly bushing steering rack sounds like a winner...

Im just still kinda up in the air on what to do with the sway bar bushings...
    2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition<br />Old Man Emu : Sonoran Steel : ToyTec : Nitto : Yakima:&nbsp; OEM

If I were in your place, I would either:

a) get new Toyota OEM bushings for your sway bar. Those won't squeak and they'll likely be firmer then the original bushings that you've got on there, although, it is an 2002 model, so I can't speculate as to how much yours may have degraded over the years. Mine were almost crumbling apart.

I'm currently using the Toyota Tacoma brackets + bushings for my Addco swaybar (yes, it is still on there for the time being) and I've never heard any noise from them.

or, you could,

b) pick up some Energy Suspension greasable bushings that fit the stock sway bar. Those won't squeak provided that you do grease them every few months. As suggested somewhere previously, silicone grease is the best to use. They look something like this:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/sway_addco_02.jpg

From my experience and opinion - I would do the steering rack bushings and new OEM swaybar bushings. You'll notice a difference, it'll fit your budget nicely, you won't have a headache taming new squeaks and noises and you'll be happy.
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
    X2

Poly bushings for the steering rack are a must do mod to tighten up the steering on these trucks (I did mine eons ago and you'll never hear them make any noise if done correctly). For less body roll and no squeaking issues, use the Addco front and rear sway bars and rubber bushings. It's the increased thickness of the sway bar that lessens body roll.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

If I were in your place, I would either:

a) get new Toyota OEM bushings for your sway bar. Those won't squeak and they'll likely be firmer then the original bushings that you've got on there, although, it is an 2002 model, so I can't speculate as to how much yours may have degraded over the years. Mine were almost crumbling apart.

I'm currently using the Toyota Tacoma brackets + bushings for my Addco swaybar (yes, it is still on there for the time being) and I've never heard any noise from them.

or, you could,

b) pick up some Energy Suspension greasable bushings that fit the stock sway bar. Those won't squeak provided that you do grease them every few months. As suggested somewhere previously, silicone grease is the best to use. They look something like this:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/sway_addco_02.jpg

From my experience and opinion - I would do the steering rack bushings and new OEM swaybar bushings. You'll notice a difference, it'll fit your budget nicely, you won't have a headache taming new squeaks and noises and you'll be happy.
    thanks man, yeah, option A sounds like to best route to go. anyone know a part number off hand?

The part number, as far as I know, for the front stabilizer bar bushing(s) is 48815 or 48815‑35100. The brackets, should yours be rusted/cracked are 48824A (right side) and 48828 (left)

&#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12