Thread: Crankshaft/Camshaft seals w/ TB change?

Crankshaft/Camshaft seals w/ TB change?

I know that timing belt changes are a common issue/post but I haven't been able to find a final verdict on this issue by searching.

Do I need to change my Crankshaft seal and Camshaft seals when I do my water pump/ TB / drivebelt change? Should I wait and see if they are worn/damaged/leaky? I am headed off in a minute and the seals are the last parts I need to start the job if I am going to do them. My 4runner is a 3.4 with 130,000 miles. Thanks. D
    1997 4Runner 3.4L Auto 4x4

Re: Crankshaft/Camshaft seals w/ TB change?

i left the cam pulleys and the crank pulley alone when i did the timing belt last july. i figure i'll deal with the seals next time, behind said parts, right? (along with the idler pulleys). - ok, just remembered the FSM said something about inspecting them- i did not (other than visual with pulleys torqued), and didn't see anything leaking below them... hope that helps.
    [img width=565 height=800]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/scottnabbie/timingbeltreplacement.jpg[/img]
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

I replaced mine when I swapped in the used motor and they had a little life left when I did, but honestly if you're gonna keep the truck a long time, them I'd go ahead and do them anyway. Pay close attention to how far the seals are seated (esp the crank seal, most people drive them in too far).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Thanks for your info. I decided to just pick them up at the dealership since I won't be able to see them until I get the timing cover off and I would rather just do the work of getting to them once. Thanks again.

Anyone know what the service life of these seals is?
    1997 4Runner 3.4L Auto 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by DavidAlexander
    Anyone know what the service life of these seals is?
    Typically a dealership will replace them during a timing belt change if they are leaking. Hard to say how long they will go and that would depend on alot of factors (engine temps, environment, oil quality, etc). They are cheap to change yourself so I just go ahead and do it so I don't have to waste time tearing down stuff and change them in between timing belt changes.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD