Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Head gasket trouble- time for a top-end rebuild

Re: Head gasket trouble- time for a top-end rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    *Add a couple of snap on metric wobbles to that list, the things are worth their weight in gold and make it around some spots a standard swivel won't without binding up. Last job I did I think I ended up stacking them 2 and three deep, sooo much easier!
    X2

Those are some of the most used tools in my toolbox and Snap-On's are the best for sure (I have a set of thei impact swivels). Invaluable for working in the very tight spaces on modern vehicles.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by ubermoto
    Awesome post Brian... Legendary!!! Thanks for documenting everything so well. I'm getting ready to dive into my own HG repair, but I have the benefit of the engine on a stand in the garage. My question is - was there anything you'd add to this list now that you are done? From subsequent posts, it looks like you added the tools below, but you had all the parts necessary (I hate downtime waiting for parts!).

Tools you bought/made
    • Homemade Crank Pulley Holder
    • Camshaft Holder
    • Tap for Exhaust Studs (thread size/pitch?)
    • Ratcheting Box End Wrenches (at least 12mm & 14mm)
    • 'Star' (Inverse Torx) Socket for the exhaust studs?

Tools you already had that made it easier
    • 400 ft-lb impact wrench
    • 250 ft-lb torque wrench
    • I assume you had a full assortment of sockets/wrenches/screwdrivers, etc...

Anything else you wish you would have had that would have made the project go smoother?

Cheers! I've got a homebrew waiting for you if you ever pass through the north front range of Colorado.

Jeremy
    That about covers it! Definitely get an impact 3/8" and 1/2" u-joint and/or set of wobbly sockets, and I also got a M10x1.25 tap for the exhaust collectors, because the studs were BAD (I showed pictures of me using it to fix them up).

Air tools were a nice thing to have, especially the 3/8" drive air ratchet. I didn't actually get very much use out of the impact wrench, but it was invaluable for the exhaust.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Jeremy, you may want to add a pulley puller to help take that crank pulley off once your bolt is loose.

Great job Brian! I'm really hoping my head gaskets don't go out. :tapeshut:
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

mastacox,
    Have you had any issues with the •Remanufactured heads from www.cylinder-heads.com? My HG has a slight leak and I'm thinking of getting heads from the same place.
    Thanks!

95.5 Tacoma 3.4L Auto

I only have about 9000 miles on them, but they work great. They also come with an excellent warrantee, so I believe that they stand behind their work. Overall, I'm very happy with the quality of the heads.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Excellent...thanks!
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4L Auto

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789