Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some LED design experts

Need some LED design experts

Ok,

Sometimes it pays to work at a lighting place.
    Today we were cleaning out some stuff in the warehouse and i came across a big ol fixture that used LEDs.

Soooo i took them out and brought them home.

The thing is i am no where near an electronics wizard. I did electronics in the Navy and know enough to be dangerous but designing stuff, no bueno .

So who is design savvy??
    I'll send you some of these leds so you can figure out how to make em all nice and bright, and all i want would be a parts list direction path so i can burn my self with the soldering iron and also make things brighter.

Any one game?

The candidates:

They came out of a hanging lighting fixture that was meant to be like 8-9 feet up so i have to imagine it put out some decent light.

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Re: Need some LED design experts

Can you get a picture of the entire fixture by itself. I'd like to see the plug ends. Did you get all the wiring and 'guts'? Reason I ask is because these suckers most likely have to be regulated. Assuming they are for 120V maybe they don't have to be. The 120V is for the most part constant and maybe when all hooked together they eat up all the forward voltage. If you're planning on using them on 12V you'll most likely need to make or buy a regulator. They come in all kinds of makes and models depending on your use. Another thing that would be nice is a picture of the led itself, with the diffuser off of it. The little optical cover probably snaps off. Getting a look at that and many manufacture marks on any of the fixture would help a lot. I have a picture and example of a nice regulator in my DIY rocklight thread.

I'll work on the pictures tonight when i get home.
    I will ask to see if i can find a spec sheet for the fixture.

They are 12v leds as far as i know. The reason they threw it away was because the 120 to 12v drivers where cannabilized for something else.

Oh and the entire fixture is in the dumpster, it was a 9' curved S shaped type thing with those LED "tracks screwed to the bottom portion.

One of the "tracks" was actually like 4-5' long i cut the aluminum plate down.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Well obviously the LEDs run on DC not AC so don't hook them up to 120V AC or you'll smell somthing burning mighty quick. It looks like they are all strung together so it may take a 12V input or perhaps higher depending on how they are configured. Most LEDs (depending on the type and wattage) run on between 2.5V and 3.5V DC each. So wiring them together, the voltage requirements would then increase. Too bad you don't have the power supply to at least verify what voltage and amperage you need to generate. The LEDs look like luxeons but I'm not sure since they have a diffusion lens over the top of them.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I think you'll need to send some extras to me for evaluation and testing.

What he said

Got side tracked helping Lance with somethings.

I'll do the pictures tomorrow.

The power supply was gone that was one reason why it was tossed.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    I think you'll need to send some extras to me for evaluation and testing.
    Ok, just need to know where to get them to. Your only like 30-40 mins from my house.

Here are the pictures:

Side label:

Connector for the 3 LED strip:

i would think since there's 4 wires we have 3 hots one for each led and the 4th is the common ground.

Lens diffuser:

LED from Above:

If anyone has any other ideas let me know, or if different pics are needed. I'll try to do them tonight.

TTFN

Those aren't going to work well for rocklights, they are RGB (red green blue). Don't throw them away though, they would make for neat effect lighting.

Here is the datasheet:
    http://www.dialight.com/Assets/Broch...XLKLDRGBOP.pdf

Thanks for finding the sheet.

What about taking lets say the blue leds off and remounting them?

I would almost want Blue light as I was use to doing things in Blue light while up in Combat Information Center. Helps preserve your night vision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast