Thread: laptop mount

laptop mount

so its come time to ditch my carpc and go to a laptop mount.

i have a few choices:

jottodesk. http://www.jottodesk.net/universal/j...ersal-2300.htm dad has one in his superduty. they dont make a mount for 3rd gens, but the universal mount looks to be more sturdy anyway, something i didnt like about dad's jotto desk was its ability to bounce all over the place with its single pole design.

then theres this: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

lance has that, seems to like it.

or, i could build my own. no clue how i would do that though.

so lets hear your opinions on the subject. any one have ANY experience with the jotto universal desks?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: laptop mount

If you could get the actual piece that you mount the laptop too and maybe the swivel you could make the rest of it up.

My boss made one for his truck to hold our mobile MDC pooters, he first tried to secure it with those self tapping screws, worked so so and they eventually came loose. So he simply bolted it into the seat bracket. You could do the same if you made your own mount and imho it would be more stable.

To build your own you need the laptop pc and the swivel pc from whomever makes such things, then maybe some 1x1 square or round piping and have at it.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Sean, why are you ditching the car PC? Just too difficult to read?

Sean, I may have some parts you will be interested in. I think I have most of the main base of that ram mount you posted. Just needs the neck and laptop mount. I think it's going to be a long time till I get a laptop or am able to use it. It would be much cheaper than buying it new. I'll find the box and see for sure what I have. I think I actually have two different Ram Mount bases.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    Sean, why are you ditching the car PC? Just too difficult to read?
    yeah, reading topo maps on a 7 inch, glare-riffic screen is just impossible. the topo software is NOT touch screen friendly. ive had some hardware/software stability problems with it lately, and my new touchscreen (had to replace it, stupid carwash guy sprayed windex or something into it) doesnt like changes in altitude. so going up to the local wheeling spots(most are 6000+ feet above sea level, home is 1410) kills it for at least 6 hours. somehow it depressurizes and is fine, but wont work when i come back down.

carpc's are great! i love mine, but it doesnt suit my needs for topo maps.

thanks chris! id be interested in that.

if i go a custom route, it will undoubtedly tie into my center console. one reason why ive been holding off on finishing it.

thanks for the input. i still see no ready made solutions i actually really like, so well see.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

SEan, I bought the stuff from Brady at Overland Journal. I do remember him saying that if you could tie the universal mount into the dash that it would be a really good system. I'll check and see what I have today and get back to ya.
    My signature

thanks man!

i like fabbing stuff (just taking a break from my latest project to check the site) but i really have no idea where to start with a laptop mount.