Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Operation: "Craig Air", cheap CO2.

Operation: "Craig Air", cheap CO2.

the Motive: cant stand for spending $300 on CO2 tank setup while i'm jobless.
    the Mission: put together a capable system for less than $75
    i got all the pieces either from Craig's list or Harbor Freight, except for the pressure gauge.

parts list:
    1.) CO2 tank, $30 off craig's list, there were shat load of them floating after spring break, the one i got is almost full.

2.) Victor SR5B innert gas regulator, $10 off craiglist, it's was an $150 unit but no gauges, no inlet plug. the key feature is the large gas passage bores won't freeze up, the cheapo $60 Harris regultor(Airgas carries them) won't work.

3.) air hose, $5 HF, 20ft coil.

4.) couplers, $6 total, $3 each push-button Quick-Discounnect couplers from HF, one female thread, one male thread.

5.) pressure gauge: $13 from Grainger, 160psi max liquid filled, American made. that's one part i don't want to go cheap.

6.) plug: $0 i've got one. it was used to plug off the hi-pressure gauge port on the gas regulator, since CO2 is liquid unlike other gases, i don't need a hi-pressure gauge to tell me if the tank is running low. and the gas turns to liquid when reach 1500 psi, it won't exceed the designed load of the regulator. plus, the burst disk on the tank will release pressure when tank reaches 3000psi. now you know i have safety in my mind.

7.) CO2 inlet tube: $2.50 from Airgas

tire filler probe: $0, i've got one, $2 for a new one.

so far, ~$66

8.) bonus: Ingersoll Rand 231C 1/2" impact wrench, $25 off craigslist. the seller was a total drunk, sold it as parts cause it wasn't working. i cleaned it up the gunk inside and buffed off the rust with a wirewheel, it works like charm, shinny too.

here you go: totally $91, i got:

i rotated all 4 tires on the wife's RAV4, took me less than 20 minutes, just perfect. now, would i pay $50+ for a vehicle mounting bracket? i guess not.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Re: Operation: "Craig Air", cheap CO2.

Now that I see this it makes me want to do the same with the bottle we have in the garage...

Looks good man !!

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Did you do all that just to be able to use an impact on the road?

Cause I just spend a nice load on a snap on 1/2 battery impact that would blow its sock off. Not knocking you but I never saw the practicality of those c02 tanks when you can get some kinda compressor and have a battery impact for when you need it.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

i used to have a 20 gal compressor back in L. A., but it was noisey and every time i need to use it i have to let it run a bit till the pressure builds up. with a CO2 tank, it just turns on instantly. now her in Indy, the garage is so stuff, there's no way it can hold a compressor. i also have a MAC 19.2V 1/2" drive cordless impact wrench, which i have used it on Scuba's old truck in Pismo last year. it's not as nice as the $500 Snap-On honestly, i'm planning selling it if the CO2 setup works out. boy that IR impact is a beast.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Good deal. When I was looking at building something I couldn't find everything I needed for cheap. Craigslist did have a lot of bottle but the ones in the size and price I wanted had expired or soon to be expired dates on them. Plus around here most places only fill their own bottles or make you leave them over night. For 20-25 dollars a fill I decided to go the York route.

You say you didn't want to cheap out of the gauge. Of all things why? That's probably the only thing I would have cheaped out on.

I noticed you have 2 couplers on the impact. Why? I would cut this down to one and maybe invest in a larger diameter hose. Do this and you'll have more flow not to mention IR wants that gun to have 3/8" hose.

IR impact is a beast
    I've got the 3/8" and 1/2" TiMAX impacts. They are pretty sweet and much lighter than my 231c. I haven't gotten rid of the 231 because for the money you cannot beat that impact.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen
    i used to have a 20 gal compressor back in L. A., but it was noisey and every time i need to use it i have to let it run a bit till the pressure builds up. with a CO2 tank, it just turns on instantly. now her in Indy, the garage is so stuff, there's no way it can hold a compressor. i also have a MAC 19.2V 1/2" drive cordless impact wrench, which i have used it on Scuba's old truck in Pismo last year. it's not as nice as the $500 Snap-On honestly, i'm planning selling it if the CO2 setup works out. boy that IR impact is a beast.
    20 gallons, of course it was always on-your pump and tank werent large enough. 30 gallon min with 6cfm min. Course a smaller tank with a large real compressor motor (read oil lubed and belt driven) will keep a 20 gallon tank always full.

I can see the reasoning on the C02 tank tho, cheap way to get things done. I think what woulda been really cool is to find someone with a welding tank you coulda nabbed, cheap and probably larger
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    You say you didn't want to cheap out of the gauge. Of all things why? That's probably the only thing I would have cheaped out on.

I noticed you have 2 couplers on the impact. Why? I would cut this down to one and maybe invest in a larger diameter hose. Do this and you'll have more flow not to mention IR wants that gun to have 3/8" hose.
    the impact comes with a automotive air plug, and i'm out of indutrial plugs, all my female couplers are industrial. i used the doulbe coupler as a Automotive-Industrial adapter. i have been having this thing for a long time. these two are not interchangeable.
    Automotive air plug:

Industrial air plug:

as for the gauge. good ones have stainless steel casing filled with oil, they are stronger and the liquid can damp the shock and vibration. if your gauge don't give you the correct pressure reading, it can cause all kinds of problems. i.e. your tool won't work right, got broken, putting too much pressure on the lug nuts, even it can be a safety hazard, with a line burst. remember, the tank is metal, tank valve metal, regulator body, inlet tube are all metal, they all can handle 10k psi. but after the low pressure gauge, there comes the plastic/rubber hose, the weakest link of the whole thing.

i'm only running 80psi, so 1/4" hose is plenty, cheap, easy to store.

I like the industrial fittings although I haven't had a lot of time with the automotive ones. I buy quality brass ones because the cheap one will leak over time and I have had a few develop cracks just installing them on to a hose or tool.

Haha, That impact kinda saved our asses..I forgot about that neat thing..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast