Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Mans Welding Kart

Re: Poor Mans Welding Kart

Scuba, get a real extension cord. The one you're using is probably good for 12 amps. Your welder pulls more. You most likely need an 8 or 10 gague cord. You can make one for cheaper than buying one. You're running a big fire/electrical risk using the cord you have pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
    Scuba why are you making a welding sled?!?!
    Have you seen what happens to things with Wheels when he gets around them?

I kid i kid.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Scuba, get a real extension cord. The one you're using is probably good for 12 amps. Your welder pulls more. You most likely need an 8 or 10 gague cord. You can make one for cheaper than buying one. You're running a big fire/electrical risk using the cord you have pictured.
    X2. The SP-135T is a 20 amp welder. It needs to be on a 20 amp circuit, and it needs an extension cord rated for at least 20 amps.
    The only thing you have going in your favor at this point is that the welder itself does have an "internal overload safety switch", which I wouldnty really trust though, get the proper gear. It'll be better for everyone!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Scuba you need a 12 guage cord, and a 10 guage if your gonna run more than 75 feet. You need a 25 amp circuit, because that welder (set high) will do 25 amps. I would use 1 side of the dryer outlet (if its 50 amps). Also that welder has a 20% duty cycle so keep the welds short.

12g? I thought at least 10. I got the 50 foot 10g cord at home depot for $50.

10ga for 110v. but i would just buy some insulated electrical 10-2 wires from HD and pigtail it to the house panel with a separate breaker, causse the dengerous part is the wire inside the wall, 12ga. thin insulation wire(white plastic) for power outlet, 14ga. for lighting. it's what i did in my garage for the 220v welder. still cheaper than $50 with 20ft of 8ga wire and breaker.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Yea wiring directly to a breaker box is a smart idea honestly.

If you can just buy the cord and use that to wire it into the box.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

If you look in the book its 12 ga for 20 amps and is actually good for 25 amps. Hey bigger is better, so use 8 guage if you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSHH
    thats brilliant lol. just cruize by where the homeless guys hang out and find a discarded one

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast