Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Night Camping/Adventuring-Post Setup Precooked Quick-n-Easy Dinners

First Night Camping/Adventuring-Post Setup Precooked Quick-n-Easy Dinners

I figure I'll start sharing some of our post set-up dinner recipes. I know after driving and setting up camp one of the things I despise most is having to throw together a meal the first night, I'd rather take along a precooked deal to warm up so we can enjoy a nice walk or bike ride around to check out the place we're staying at. Nothing like an easily set-up dinner and time to enjoy the open outdoors and relax and let the stress of daily life fade away...aaaahhhhh...

First one is a bit of a time deal for a precook, but something I've always loved when family has it, I just decided to throw a little Latin twist in it! Enjoy!

Pound-1/2 (or pound's fine) of beef (or ground turkey/whatever)
    Small Can of Chile Verde (usually white label, maybe 8oz type if I remember correctly)
    Bag of Elbow Macaroni
    Loaf of Velveeta
    Pepper
    Salt
    Casserole dish

**DO NOT PAM or GREASE THE DISH..Deal w/ the cleanup, it makes it harder to cook it right. Besides, just fill the dish w/ water when you Plastic container it all up and leave it sitting in the sink as a "Welcome Back Home Present" to bring you back to reality.

Brown the meat and season lightly w/ salt in a 12" frypan(remember velveeta has salt in it.) Add in pepper and can of chile verde (good since it's a mild/sweet chile and if you like a little sugar to sweeten, but no more than a tbsp or it'll get too sweet).

Boil up your macaroni, drain, and stir in 1/4-1/2 loaf of velveeta. Slice up the rest to about 12-16 slices. Stir in the meat mix with the half of the macaroni and velveeta mix.

Fill casserole dish up with the half mix of macaroni/velveeta/meat mix. Layer once w/ velveeta slices.

Throw the rest of the macaroni/velveeta on top and finish up layering w/ velveeta slices.

Cook covered @ 350F for 20-30 minutes, then remove foil and brown top and roast the cheese the way we always do (5-8min's @ Broil).

Remove casserole dish and let cool for about 15-20 minutes and enjoy a nice twist on a classic recipe.

This usually gives us enough for 3 dinners, or in classic Shane style, 2 dinners, a cold breakfast and a hot Saturday lunch..hee-hee-hee.

Re: First Night Camping/Adventuring-Post Setup Precooked Quick-n-Easy Dinners

Mind if we join in? If so let me know, and I'll remove the post...

It's not pre-cooked, but one of my favorite post setup/first night out meals is what we here in the south call a "silver turtle" you take a 1/2 pound of ground beef, a half can of sliced potatos, a half can of sliced carrots, a little pad of butter, and a half package of brown gravy mix, a generous helping of salt and pepper, and anything else you'd like to toss in. You wrap it (once, don't double wrap, it wont cook throoughly) with heavy duty aluminum foil, and toss it in the cooler, once camp is up, get the fire going, once you have a decent bed of coals, toss the turtles in.
    Turn it over after about 12-15 minutes, and give it another 12-15, remove, slit the foil just like a baked potato and enjoy!!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

What happened to dogs, burgers and ribs? Or is it b/c I go by myself and dont mind eating that stuff?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    What happened to dogs, burgers and ribs? Or is it b/c I go by myself and dont mind eating that stuff?
    One of the joys of just me and my son camping. Can't go wrong with dogs and chili.

Shane, that one sounds good.
    My signature

we've learned that pre-cooking everything is everything. we even bought a food sealer to make sure that what we pre-cook stays water tight in the cooler. we slice vegetables as well.

Coolers? Pre cooked? Vacuum sealed?

Man I must rough it then, cause everything I either bring is canned, dehydrated, or fresh stuff.

Coolers? Pre cooked? Vacuum sealed?

Man I must be single, cause everything I either bring is canned, dehydrated, or fresh stuff.
    There, I fixed it for ya.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Man I must be single, cause everything I either bring is canned, dehydrated, or fresh stuff.

There, I fixed it for ya.
    Haha.. Yea Im single, lifes easier this way atm-I got so tired of the clingy girls I kept winding up with..it really got to me, I didnt have a free moment to myself at all.

Well you guys enjoy your pre cooked and pre arranged stuff, I will stick to my pork and beans

Haha, yeah, I definately pack different when it's the whole fam, when it's just me and my boy, and when it's just me. Just me, about the only thing I heat up is coffee.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    One of the joys of just me and my son camping. Can't go wrong with dogs and chili.

Shane, that one sounds good.
    I've become really sensitive (as I've gotten past my late 20's) to drastic altitude changes w/i one day, despite a prescription to prevent sickness, so I'm (she's) well past and over any form of bean involvement, our rig's small, and the tent isn't much bigger, no Dutch oven heating for us. Precooked and solid meals make the first nights go a lot easier for everyone.

Well you guys enjoy your pre cooked and pre arranged stuff, I will stick to my pork and beans
    Again, your post needed fixing...

Well, me personally I enjoy the benefits of a well heated sleeping bag 2 hours later, I will stick to my pork and beans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast