Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hitch mounted tire carrier

Re: Hitch mounted tire carrier

yep, the bolts are symmetrical, so the flip is easy, just have to cut the bumper. its something i have considered doing, and might. if i do that ill cut my tube shorter to lower the tire. i planned for that and the retaining pin location can be drilled out to accept the lower bolt, and a new pin hole drilled.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, you may be able to find a license plate holder and light off an FJ40. Several people on ih8mud have gone that route on their tire carriers.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

i was thinking of tracking one down from a 2nd gen 4runner with the tire carrier. thats what ill eventually use when i build a full rear bumper.

i just got back from buying wheel locks, and apparently suck at looking at the sizes, i read the package 3 times to make sure it said M12x1.5 and instead ended up taking home m14x1.5... go figure... haha

im thinking about just screwing the license plate to the bumper.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

so here is my solution for my license plate:

5 bucks at autozone got my a black plastic universal mount. i tried screwing it into the steel tube, but that just didnt work out, so:

who ever said you cant fix things with zipties is a liar!

the light is an LED one i got at autozone as well, i think it was 15, but i had a coupon/gift card so it was free for me! its VERY bright, i put some black tape over most of the lens to keep it from glowing towards the rear, so now it just shines straight down on the plate. ran the wire down the tube, through the receiver tube and to a trailer connector and into my vehicle side trailer connector.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Nice job! Gotta hand it to you Sean, you get it done. Your can do attitude is really paying off. I bet this project went a lot faster and the weld beads easier right? I'm so slow that if it were me doing the project I'd still be thinking about getting started.
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

yeah, thicker material is easier to work with. i just looked at specifically 2ndgen's design, took what i liked from it, and went with it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234