Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mounting factory roof rack on 2nd gen 4runner

mounting factory roof rack on 2nd gen 4runner

this is a non roof rack model any one taken a factory rack and mount it up, rather not use the clap on tulle style thanks james
    i sell cars to soon to ever work on them

Re: mounting factory roof rack on 2nd gen 4runner

I've seen it done a couple of times but with other rack systems. The vehicle owner wanted to use a Yakima system so they researched Yakima and their cheapest "foot" option. In the case I was involved with it was a rail rider with package 1. Anyways the rack that this fit on came on many vehicles. In his case he pulled one off of a dodge caravan at a you pull it. He used Plus Nuts (you can also use rivnuts) to mount it. These products require a holr to be drilled but you put the nut in the hole, seal and tighten.

That might have been mine Mike is talking about.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=2218.0

I didn't seal mine they seemed to be watertight without the need of a sealant.

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

I've been wanting to add a rack but I've been kinda sketchy on drilling holes in my roof. Do you have to drop the headliner to get to the other side of the mounting hardware?
    --------------------<br />slowheelin - a.k.a. Robb<br />93 4Runner V6 5 speed | Procomp shocks | Marlin Crawler Clutch | BFG AT<br />(more to come)

Depends on the hardware. Some you would other you don't. Sealing seems to be the biggest issue.

I didn't drop my headliner.
    I know others that did to make sure things lined up right and nothing went thru the headliner.
    I wasn't that worried.

I used thread serts. Basically i riveted in some threads for some Allen head bolts.

Right after i installed everything i took the water hose and turned it on and doused the roof for like 35 min to see if anything leaked. Not a drop.

Go to HF and check out the tool the link is in my post.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

I'll check out the tool, thanks. I think I'd seal up the holes with some silicon goop or something like that just to be sure. Nice job on the install, looks great!
    --------------------<br />slowheelin - a.k.a. Robb<br />93 4Runner V6 5 speed | Procomp shocks | Marlin Crawler Clutch | BFG AT<br />(more to come)

ok i went the pricey way and ordered all my thule stuff, i all ready had the feet and bars, now my question is there a diagram for the head liner mounting,or any one knows of a exploded view thanks james
    i sell cars to soon to ever work on them

Yes, you can install a factory rail system.
    (like I have on my 95 Runner).
    or attach Yakima gutter mounts.
    (like I have on my 86 Runner.
    If you decide to install factory rails, you'll need to
    remove the head liner to access the inner roof to attach the roof rail anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by jprunner
    Yes, you can install a factory rail system.
    (like I have on my 95 Runner).
    or attach Yakima gutter mounts.
    (like I have on my 86 Runner.

Not true

when I installed a factory one on mine I just dropped the head liner down on one side enough to see the cross bars and marked them with painters tape on the outside of the roof then used a piece of 2x4 long way's drilled through it with the drill bit so the bit stuck out about 1/4 an inch from the wood and and used it as a stop so it would not cut the headliner and it worked perfect.

To mount the rails I used the thread serts( they come with a tool so you can put them in like a rivet) silicone and stain less steel bolts works great.
    1990 4 runner <br />5.29 front with Aisin hubs coming soon Aussie locker<br />5.29 rears with TRD limited slip <br />35 x 12.5 x 15 B.F.Goodrich KO&#039;s<br />15 x 8 Micky Thompson Classic II rims<br />Pro Comp stage II 4&quot; suspension lift<br /><br />1955 Panhead Original Hardtail frame and Kick start only<br />Springer front end stock rake <br />Home made Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Hand built rear Taildragger fender tombstone taillight<br />I am the SECOND OWNER did all the work myself<br /><br />1998 flhtc Dresser<br />Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Fat Tail rear fender<br />Arlen Ness custom extended hard bags with my custom exhaust running Thur Nascar Style dual tip out both sides (4 tips total)<br />Stealth Bomber Radar absorbing flat black paint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast