Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mounting factory roof rack on 2nd gen 4runner

Re: mounting factory roof rack on 2nd gen 4runner

Quote Originally Posted by olharleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jprunner
    Yes, you can install a factory rail system.
    (like I have on my 95 Runner).
    or attach Yakima gutter mounts.
    (like I have on my 86 Runner.
    If you decide to install factory rails, you'll need to
    remove the head liner to access the inner roof to attach the roof rail anchors.

Not true

when I installed a factory one on mine I just dropped the head liner down on one side enough to see the cross bars and marked them with painters tape on the outside of the roof then used a piece of 2x4 long way's drilled through it with the drill bit so the bit stuck out about 1/4 an inch from the wood and and used it as a stop so it would not cut the headliner and it worked perfect.

To mount the rails I used the thread serts( they come with a tool so you can put them in like a rivet) silicone and stain less steel bolts works great.
    Not true?
    It seems to me that you did have to drop the head liner to mark the anchors for the gutter system.
    Pretty much what I originally stated!
    Maybe not the removal of the entire head liner but, pretty close!

Re: mounting factory roof rack on 2nd gen 4runner

Quote Originally Posted by olharleyman
    Yes, you can install a factory rail system.
    (like I have on my 95 Runner).
    or attach Yakima gutter mounts.
    (like I have on my 86 Runner.

Not true

when I installed a factory one on mine I just dropped the head liner down on one side enough to see the cross bars and marked them with painters tape on the outside of the roof then used a piece of 2x4 long way's drilled through it with the drill bit so the bit stuck out about 1/4 an inch from the wood and and used it as a stop so it would not cut the headliner and it worked perfect.

To mount the rails I used the thread serts( they come with a tool so you can put them in like a rivet) silicone and stain less steel bolts works great.
    Not true?
    It seems to me that you did have to drop the head liner to mark the anchors for the gutter system.
    Pretty much what I originally stated!
    Maybe not the removal of the entire head liner but, pretty close!
    I only dropped it about two inches to see where the cross members where and only on one side so if you consider that dropping the head liner I stand corrected but in my opinion that is far from dropping the headliner because it is still in place and really all you are doing is bending one side down just enough to see the cross members
    1990 4 runner <br />5.29 front with Aisin hubs coming soon Aussie locker<br />5.29 rears with TRD limited slip <br />35 x 12.5 x 15 B.F.Goodrich KO&#039;s<br />15 x 8 Micky Thompson Classic II rims<br />Pro Comp stage II 4&quot; suspension lift<br /><br />1955 Panhead Original Hardtail frame and Kick start only<br />Springer front end stock rake <br />Home made Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Hand built rear Taildragger fender tombstone taillight<br />I am the SECOND OWNER did all the work myself<br /><br />1998 flhtc Dresser<br />Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Fat Tail rear fender<br />Arlen Ness custom extended hard bags with my custom exhaust running Thur Nascar Style dual tip out both sides (4 tips total)<br />Stealth Bomber Radar absorbing flat black paint

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12