Thread: Tesla introduces 4 door, 7 passenger electric car

Tesla introduces 4 door, 7 passenger electric car

With a range up to 300 miles [optional $$] and 45-minute QuickCharge [also optional $$$], the $49,900 Model S can carry five adults and two children in quiet comfort – and you can charge it from any outlet, without ever stopping for gas. World’s first mass-produced electric vehicle offers performance, efficiency and unrivaled utility, making it the only car you’ll ever need.

Three battery pack options offer a range of 160, 230 or 300 miles per charge. With the 45 minute QuickCharge or a 5 minute battery swap, you can drive from LA to San Francisco, Washington to New York or take even longer road trips in about the same time as in a conventional car.

The Model S powertrain features a liquid-cooled, floor-mounted battery pack and a single-speed gearbox, delivering effortless acceleration, responsive handling and quiet simplicity -- no fancy clutchwork or gear-shifting required. Model S costs about $4 to fully charge – a bargain even when gasoline is $1 per gallon. You can listen to Pandora Radio or consult Google Maps on the 17 inch touchscreen with in-car 3G connectivity.

Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/index.php

Specs:

- 300 mile range
    - 45 minute QuickCharge
    - 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds
    - Seats 7 people
    - More Cargo space than station wagons
    - 2X as efficient as hybrids
    - 17 inch infotainment touchscreen

- Seating for 5 adults + 2 child seats
    - Unique hatch for oversized items
    - 60/40 flat-folding rear seat
    - 2nd trunk under hood

- 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds
    - 120 mph top speed
    - Sport sedan dynamics
    - All-wheel-drive available

More here: http://www.gizmag.com/tesla-model-s/11339/gallery/
    And here: http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/03/leaked-photo-te.html

I like it! Supposedly, the batteries are under the floor, but I'm trying to figure out how they fit 7 people in it? I dig it, and the price isn't super bad either.

Also, in other Tesla news, the Roadster is getting an upgraded dash.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: Tesla introduces 4 door, 7 passenger electric car

I think it looks cool. I remember hearing about this car months ago from Tesla. They were on NPR talking about the down grade in the economy and how they were hurting. I guess they had to lay off people and were hoping a car that appealed to more would keep them afloat.

Re: Tesla introduces 4 door, 7 passenger electric car

If I had $50k to spend on a car, that might be the one I would get. But I don't.