Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time for a new laptop battery - where to buy

time for a new laptop battery - where to buy

so i have a Dell inspiron e1405. its the last dell i will ever buy. ive had it for a while. bottom line is i cant afford a new one, and this one is plenty fast for whatever it is i use it for (mainly web, gps, word processing, picture editing, even handles solidworks very well). its been an OK laptop except for the battery, which died about a year after i bought it. (just after the warranty ran out) so ive been living with battery life in the 20 minute range or so, and that was fine. but this quarter im stuck on campus for 8 hours at a time, and cant always find a plug, so its time for a new battery.

dell wants 156 dollars for the replacement high capacity battery... hahahahahhaahah yeah no thanks! if i could afford that i could afford a new laptop!

where have you gone to get a new battery for a laptop? there are hundreds on ebay, but ebay batteries scare me. has anyone purchased a battery from there that was good? if so, can you give me the seller's name?

any other websites that sell them at a discount? im looking to spend no more than 100 shipped. i used to do this for a living but have lost my contacts and the one store i used has since folded.

thanks guys! much appreciated!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: time for a new laptop battery - where to buy

My dad was in the same boat with his E1705 Dell. Battery used to last over 3 hours, amazing. about 2 years later it diminished down to about 30 minutes, if that. I looked all over and did a lot of research. In the end, i ended up buying directly from dell
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

cheapest route its to break the pack open and buy new cells.
    this is probably the cell size although they can be had for 5 bucks each
    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=945

yeah im not willing to cut into a sealed pack. im just not that good with electronics anymore... maybe 5 years ago i would have had the cajones to do it...

if im going to be paying 200 for a battery, i mine as well pay 800 more and get a totally sweet new laptop...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i think if you google it you will find its pretty easy. its getting more popular since old laptops still work great but its hard to justify spending money on them with new laptops being sold for 400

79 Dollars, excellent reviews from about the store too. what do I win for my efforts?

http://www.discountelectronics.com/i..._detail&p=1726
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

id be buying this:

http://www.discountelectronics.com/i..._detail&p=1557

really need that extended battery! that looks like a dell refurb or so. 90 day warranty doesnt sound too bad, but others on ebay have up to a year... so im not sure.

Its all in how you play it. A real store like that has a real warranty (or so you think). Someone on ebay may say they do but dont.

ok cjm, well see how it works out. i placed my order tonight. i need this laptop for school so, hopefully it works out.

troy, i might take this dead battery i have and hack it open, see if i can find replacement cells, and try fixing it.

GL man, im sure it will be fine.

FWIW alot of the time the cells need to be FULLY drained period and then recharged. If your feeling furry you could hook up some test leads to say a 12v light or something and leave it be for awhile then recharge it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

As for rebuilding, plenty of places to buy the right cells-its soldering them together thats hard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast