Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen Windows

Screen Windows

Has anyone made screens for their windows? On the way home today I was thinking about some car camping and thought about the bugs. We have a new baby so chances of the wife or me sleeping in the 4runner are likely. One thing I wouldn't like is sweating to death in a closed up vehicle at night. I'm thinking some screens for the windows and sun roof.

I have some left over screen from my deck plate mod (actually I only used about 6 square inches of a roll) so I'll use it. To attach the screen to the vehicle I plan on using magnets. We have a bunch from pizza places and what not. I think that if I can find my hot glue gun I'll use that to attach the screen to the magnets.

What do you all think? This one is for the sun roof.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Screens/DSC07012.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Screens/DSC07013.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Screens/DSC07014.jpg[/img]

Re: Screen Windows

lol man, i was JUST about to post up a thread on this. ive been thinking about it for weeks! i was trying to decide between a set of frames for the rear windows or just using magnets. id like to keep the sunroof closed incase of moisture or that kind of stuff.

im leaning towards the just the magnets so they are easier to store. ill probably construct a set this weekend.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'd like to make one for the back window so there is some cross ventilation. It'll be nice after chili night. I guess I could use magnets but I don't want to screen the entire glass.

Not sure I would hot glue the screen to the magnets. You are going to want the screen between the magnets and the truck, so if you glue them on the front of the magnets, the glue may interfere with the magnets sticking properly to the truck, just hold up the screen over the desired opening, and apply magnets. Voila.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

well those magnets are not very strong, so they need direct contact with the metal.

if you used stronger magnets you could do that.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I would effectively put the magnets on the metal where they needed to be. I would then lay the screen over the sunroof opening and over the magnets. Then when everything is in place glue over the screen onto the magnets. These magnets aren't really strong but they don't need to be (the mosquitoes here are a lot wussier than the ones say in Texas). I think this would hold up. If they don't I could scrounge up some more magnets and sandwich the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    You are going to want the screen between the magnets and the truck,
    I will be using more magnets than what is shown. I hope to find/steal enough to cover the entire perimeter.

very nice idea! ive seen some cheap strong magnets at this site if you decide you need more sticking power
    http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.magnet

screens for the windows is a nice idea, im more for the metal or wood frames though, we get some nasty mosquitos down here in florida, esp whenever we go camping its like all of florida is a swamp (only the good parts really are) so im subscribed to this to see what you come up with
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

mike,

yeah i did exactly what you're talking about. I bought window screen and some 1.25" magnet strips. came in a roll. bought it from mcmaster. you need to make a case for it out of cardboard to keep it flat. the hardest part was keeping the screen glued to the magnetic strips. if i were to do it again, id use different glue. i can't recall what i used, but it was not good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast