Thread: speed wobble

speed wobble

It's getting old fast. last summer I bought new Kumho Roadventure AT's in 265/75/16. the tires have worked out fairly well until, thats is... a few weeks ao i went in my for rotation/ balance. the next day driving to work i noticed that at exactly 65mph (much worse at higher temperatures) i got a violent wobble with tons of feedback in the steering wheel. I took it back a few days later and had the front rebalanced but the next day it was the same story. Ive been back twice more and it helps for a day or 2 but eventually goes right back to where it was. they tell me now that it must be something mechanical and there is nothing they can do. Any ideas?
    the red flags for it being a tire are many and are as follows
    1: varies greatly with temp. better when cold, worse when warm.
    2: problem started when i had rotation and balance done.
    3: better for a day but deteriorates quickly.
    4: stupid tire balancing machine only spins tires around 35mph, not 65!

If indeed it is mechanical, what could it be and what do i do about it before i waste all the money to have a shop tell me something i can figure out on my own.
    Like I said before it's getting old fast. HELP!
    '97 SR5. OME 906 rear, Toytec Bilstein coilovers w/facory springs. 265/75r16 Good year duratracs.

Re: speed wobble

You need to find a shop that uses a haweka (sp) adapter and a hunter roadforce balancer. They dont know what either are, dont bother.

Toyota rims are notoriously hard to balance and alot of trucks in your generation have this issue.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: speed wobble

boot,

same issue a few weeks ago, but my shop balanced it right hte first time. find a reputable shop w/ the equipment CJM wrote above