Thread: Alarm parking light blip stopped working after a parking light short

Alarm parking light blip stopped working after a parking light short

ok so the title basically says it all. i was rewiring my license plate light after painting my tire carrier, wired it up and apparently when i taped up the solder joints i didnt cover it all and it shorted when i turned on the parking lights, well i tested the lights by hitting the remote (didnt want to walk around to the front of the car to test the lights) the parking lights didnt go on and when i went and turned them on at the stalk, it blew the under hood fuse for 'tail'

fixed the short, replaced the fuse, parking lights work just fine now, but when i lock or unlock the car, it doesnt activate the parking lights at all.

next week i hope ill have some time to dive under the dash, maybe pull the unit and see if i blew a trace. other than the parking lights, the unit works perfectly. any ideas what i should look for, has this happened to anyone else? thought id ask here before tearing my entire dash apart.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Alarm parking light blip stopped working after a parking light short

Is this the stock alarm system or aftermarket?

If its aftermarket, it should be the white wire with a fuse on it connected to the Green wire from the 13 pin connector on back of the fuse block.
    97 4runner Limited<br />2wd---&gt;4wd Conversion

its aftermarket crimestopper model 2002. i doubt its the fuse, as the rest of the alarm system works just fine, hopefully ill get time to check it out tomorrow or tuesday

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

There should be two fused wires for the main harness to the alarm, one is the main power, and the other should be for the parking lights, fused at 10A.
    97 4runner Limited<br />2wd---&gt;4wd Conversion

Hopefully that is the case. Thanks for the info!!! I'll update when I tear into it

ok, replaced the fuse and it fixed it! thanks iceman!!!

now, heres another problem. today i popped the acc fuse. not exactly sure why, but i pulled the knee panel off today and i was greeted with this:

yeah, most of that is my fault. when i installed my alarm, i wasnt sure of what i was doing, so i left alot of extra wire so i could redo if i made a mistake. that was a mistake!

but after a few hours, it now looks like this:

i couldnt clean it up as much as i wanted, i lacked some connectors or a soldering iron, but its pretty good and clean.

still have to rewire all my lights and such, that will have to wait till i get home to find some of my connectors i have stashed away.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman601
    Is this the stock alarm system or aftermarket?

If its aftermarket, it should be the white wire with a fuse on it connected to the Green wire from the 13 pin connector on back of the fuse block.
    can you recommend some aftermarket parts for the alarm? ive been looking for this. hoping for the help. thanks

not sure what you mean by aftermarket parts? stuff like window roll down kits? I've never dealt with those.