Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proving yet again that liberal nicey-nice talk w/ criminals and dictators is...

Proving yet again that liberal nicey-nice talk w/ criminals and dictators is...

a pie in the sky, doesn't work-in-the-real world way of dealing with *criminals*.

What topic am I referring to here? Those three (dead) Somali pirates Yes, the theory that anyone can be negotiated with (i.e. the liberal Democratic model of diplomacy) has once again proven a failed way of thinking---that naive believe that is anchored to the theory that everyone, every nation, etc. has equivalent morality, respect for the same values, etc.

How many days did US Navy negotiators try to negotiate w/ these criminals? And in the past oh-who-knows how many years, how many freighters have been hijacked? These bizatches dont discriminate between Russian, US, British, etc. They hijack anything that moves, no matter how small or large. In fact, they hijacked a freakin' yacht the next day after those three were killed. The French forces wasted no time in taking care of business.

So what worked? Yes, force. Because that's the only language they understand. While true you have to first talk, there's a point where you have to realize that they cannot be negotiated with and should not be trusted. That is not to say you wholesale wipe anything that resembles a Somali pirate, but when you see a fast moving boat w/ 4 guys shouldering at least 1 RPG-7 and the rest carrying AK-47s, why is it that you have to be boarded to respect this b.s. concept of "In'tl Maritime law"? Time to review the policy.

Now back to the pirates and how the real story evolved. AP was one of the first news organizations to report on this. First they wrote that "Obama was asked twice by the Defense Dept via the US Navy before approving the orders to shoot to kill". Now (predictably) the MSM is reporting it as "Obama approved the order twice..." Typical. All hail the omnipotent Obama! We must write our continued praises to the almighty! Now you know how the story has been spinned.

But really, instead of the MSM's celebrating the great decision that Obama made, why don't we celebrate the true heros here: those SEAL snipers and their fine marksmanship. Kick ass. I was happy to hear the news.

Re: Proving yet again that liberal nicey-nice talk w/ criminals and dictators is...

America is stupid incase you havent noticed..

Had I been in charge i woulda coordinated to have snieprs take the baddies out in a heartbeat.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: Proving yet again that liberal nicey-nice talk w/ criminals and dictators is...

We have known for some time now that these pirate raids operate off mother ships just like the fishing industry does. There are the catching boats and then there's the big mother ship that acts as command central and processes fish. No different w/ the pirates.

How many ways can we effectively cut them off? Yes, we know what ports they operate out of. Yes, we know that they have these mother ships. Why aren't we doing anything? If Obama wants to do anything that I would give him credit for, it would be to stop talking about "forming a coalition with our partners" nicey talk and actually use our existing forces in the area to start surveilling those mother ships and taking out any little pirate boat that leaves from it. I've heard the excuses about "its alot of water to cover". But do you kill bees while they are in the air swarming all about you? No, you kill the freakin' bee hive!

You would think it would be that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    You would think it would be that simple.
    I wish it was that simple. The problem is the dozens of hostages the pirates still hold and have threatened to kill if the mother ships or their bases of operations are attacked.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

They will kill and will continue to hijack cargo vessels, regardless of what we do. So at some point, we have to respond in kind. What happens if these companies/govts pay ransom for their release? They may get released, but that won't stop the pirates from doing what they do. They won't turn pacifist, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    Now back to the pirates and how the real story evolved. AP was one of the first news organizations to report on this. First they wrote that "Obama was asked twice by the Defense Dept via the US Navy before approving the orders to shoot to kill". Now (predictably) the MSM is reporting it as "Obama approved the order twice..." Typical. All hail the omnipotent Obama! We must write our continued praises to the almighty! Now you know how the story has been spinned.

The thing that bugs me the most is the credit Obama is given for "the decision". It wasn't that tough a decision...it was a no-brainer. Could you imagine what would have happened if he didn't approve the use of force and this turned into another (though smaller) Iran hostage crisis? The huge loss of cool points and the comparisons to Carter would almost crush him. Should he be given credit for making the correct decision...sure. But not to the point where he sounds like a military genius.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

This is a game of chess. Which opponent is more shrewd and free from political correctness?
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Hopefully this gives Obama a clue about the value of a strong Military and helps to temper future budget cuts. He seemed to be smiling a lot after the incident. Maybe he'll realize that it's not the guns that are evil.

I'm tired of paying for the worlds problems and then taking crap for it. I'm all for protecting our ships but unless the rest of the world steps up they should be on their own.

93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

I wish it was that simple. The problem is the dozens of hostages the pirates still hold and have threatened to kill if the mother ships or their bases of operations are attacked.
    [/quote]

Fear of retaliation must not paralyze you from taking action, but you must take into account that likelihood when planning. These and other pirates must be killed and others discouraged from taking up the occupation. Since they're Muslim, I would suggest executing them in the fashion that Allah prescribes because I'm quite certain that murder and theft are not viewed positively. The Quran prescribes execution by sword or crucifixion for theft in conjunction with homicide and removing hands and/or feet for theft w/o homicide.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast