Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bike Thread!

Re: Bike Thread!

Alright, I did it!!! Too many bikes, not enough time...pics aren't all the best quality, but they will work.

First the kiddies...

The little girls bike, she is 5, Raleigh MXR 16" wheels.

The boys bike, generic but inexpensive (did come from a bike shop ), up graded brakes and lever, and pedals. In action at the Weaverville, NC BMX track...

In progress the big kiddies (thats me) BMX two-four cruiser. Donated to me by the track director, a Dyno/GT, needs new wheels built and the seat tube is broken just above the top tube, nothing an extra seat collar won't fix.
    &#039;94 &#039;YotaRu&#039; 4Runner 3.Slo 5mt<br />&#039;03 &#039;Blubaru&#039; Forester X 4eat<br />&quot;Terrapondus&quot;-The natural tendency to gravitate toward the dirt.

The wife's '90's Rockhopper Expert, sadly, not ridden in a long time.

The fork in the pic is an old Specialized Future Shock which is really what broke the ice between us when we met, she wanted a suspension fork and I said "I've got one", that was about 12 years ago, the rest is history...

Her '98 Bianchi Milano which I bought for her birthday when I was an inside rep at Bianchi. Brooks leather saddle and old school XT brakes up front.
    &#039;94 &#039;YotaRu&#039; 4Runner 3.Slo 5mt<br />&#039;03 &#039;Blubaru&#039; Forester X 4eat<br />&quot;Terrapondus&quot;-The natural tendency to gravitate toward the dirt.

My trusty steed, handbuilt by a friend of mine who only built 7 frames in his short frame building career. True Temper tubing Henry James lugs and dropouts, Phil Wood hubs and BB, XT XTR blah, blah blah...

The boy's Mtn Bike, old school C-Dale, '89-'90ish 24" Wheels, 'Beast of the East' geometry. I bought this frame new in the box in the early '90s long before I even met my wife, knowing someday it would be ridden by my kid(s).

Pretty much every bike I put together has at least one Campy part, front skewer in this case.

Commuter, all parts donated or left over from other bikes, total investment when built $4 for cables, '89 Schwinn Cimmeron, Bontrager straight blade fork, Campy Super Record brake levers, Brooks saddle, inner tube wrapped handle bars...

Tequila worm head badge sticker

Probably my favorite bike of all time. I was told that it was a '69 by the guy I got it from, but serial # date code sayz it's a '70. I still call it a '69 just because it's more fun. I commuted all around San Francisco on this bike for many years, bar hopped, party hopped, and even rode it on the trails in Golden Gate Park. Plus I can do a mean wheelie on it. Good 'ol Sturmey Archer 3sp.

Generator came off of a bike where someone 'upgraded' to a battery light, still works and as far as I know it's the original bulb.

Pulled this one out of the basement of a shop I was working at here in Asheville. 1962 Schwinn Racer, Bendix 2sp kick back. The bike was the shop beer getter for a long time, that basket has been used.

Alright, last two, I promise. Saved the best for last...

Don't have an exact date, but it's either a 1937 or 1938 model Elgin, sold by Sears. This bike is one cushy cruiser and I take it out and ride it whenever I get the chance. Handle bar and stem are reproductions, I have the originals but the stem is messed up and I haven't fixed it yet. The handle bar bag is new-old-stock Schwinn waxed canvas from the mid '70's and I have the original hang tag for.

I love the curvy seat tube.

Cooling fins and oil port on the rear hub. Skip tooth inch pitch chain. The BB and head set have zerk grease fittings as well.

Crazy bend on top of the seat post.

Head badge. They sure don't build 'em like this anymore.

And the cream of the crop, I don't know much about it, early to mid '70's. Due to the KMX on the seat it may be a Kawasaki, I know it is not the Yamaha. I paid $80 for it and before I got home someone was offering me $100. I rode it quite a bit before I cleaned it up and rebuilt everything. the suspension works pretty good. The forks are oil damped, but the rear is just springs so it's a bit bouncy.

I like the bump stop on the frame.

Everything is pretty well over built, 44lbs. worth.

Alright, that's it, I'll shut up now...at least till I get my hands on a single speed...

*What about the Schwinn or Raleigh rusting out against the tree?

**Still can't find pics of my '72 Typhoon converted to the 2 speed kickback, rode thet thing all around Chico, then Ashland...bar/student bike.

If waiting to see some I.F.s, maybe find a shot of my Bonty SS, Strong's, etc..this way we find out who the true bike feinds are.

Rock'n the thud buster. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    *What about the Schwinn or Raleigh rusting out against the tree?
    The one on the ground is a '60s J.C. Higgins 3sp I cut the hubs out and removed whatever was still in a functional condition, same thing with the green Varsity hanging in the tree. Both were just given to me by co-workers who knew I loved old bikes. The frames are just way to rusted to be rideable any more.

I've worked in the bike biz for 20+ years and the bikes are only part of the collection, I've also got boxes of crap...um,er parts all over the place, some of it's cool, some not, I'm just a bike pack rat.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Rock'n the thud buster. I like it.
    Cane Creek Cycling Components is right down the road from me, from my old house I could have taken a canoe to them on Cane Creek, of course.

I like the ThudBuster, as far as suspension seat posts go I think it's the best out there. The other Cane Creek stuff is pretty good but I've got an 'issue' with how they do their manufacturing that keeps me from being a big advocate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123