Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm an Appleseed Rifleman

I'm an Appleseed Rifleman

If you haven't heard about this program it's a great event which will teach you how to shoot a rifle out to 400 yards and at the same time, teach you revolutionary war history. There are many Appleseed events all around the country throughout the year and they are open to anybody and everybody. In fact, women and children can attend for free.

At our particular event we had about 40+ people attending from all walks of life. About 10% were women. The day starts out with a safety briefing and an introduction to appleseed. Throughout the weekend, they go over the significance of April 18 and 19th, 1775 (Paul Revere's midnight ride) and the days leading up to that event. They also go into detail about the riflemen who made up the colonial militia at the time and those who died on April 19, 1775.

Everything is shot at 25 meters with the targets shrinking in size to simulate a man sized target at ranges up to 400 yards. A lot of people choose to shoot a ruger 10/22 since ammo is cheap and it's a cheap gun.

The instructors teach you how to shoot from standing, sitting and prone, while properly using a sling. This is not "tactical" shooting at all, as the idea is to stop the redcoats well before they can get within range. Out of the 40 attendees, 3 of us qualified for "Rifleman", which meant we had to score higher than 210 out of 250 points.

The targets look like this:

The top one simulates a man sized target at 100 yards. You have 2 minutes to shoot 10 rounds while standing. In the second set of targets you start out standing, transition to sitting and shoot 10 rounds in 50 seconds with 1 mag change. This simulates a person at 200 yards. The third row is the same, except you transition to prone and you have 60 seconds. This simulates a person at 300 yards. The bottom row is done in the prone position and you have 5 minutes to shoot 10 rounds. This simulates 400 yards.

I was most impressed by how much a sling can improve one's steadiness. It's a world of difference. In the past, I've used a sling in a way called the Hasty Sling, but moving up to a Loop Sling is so much better. You're almost as steady using a loop sling as you are bench resting it.

I highly recommend this training class to anybody out there. You can shoot any rifle you want, scoped or iron sights. They take any age as long as the parent believes the child is mature enough to safely handle a firearm. In fact, the youngest instructor in the program is a 14 year old girl. There are a ton of these events in California and all across the US. Plus, this also qualifies you for one of those CMP Garands.

For more information:

Another website: http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/
    Forums: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: I'm an Appleseed Rifleman

Definitely cool! Thanks for sharing! I am looking up the info right now!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

steve,

great that you finished it. so do they include you in some kind of registry for the CMP? and is that for life and free?

Those are tight groups and done while standing......! Good job!!!
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Thanks guys. They provided me with a signed form saying I participated in the event. This, along with signing up for a shooting club, like the revolutionary war veterans association (appleseed) makes you eligible. So, the participation part should be forever, but the membership is annual.

http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm
    Steve

Good job man! I have never been to a appleseed shoot but personally when I have the freetime enjoy that kinda target shooting-that and reactives and a few 3 gun matches i did.

These shoots are very good for rifleman skills and good ol' Fred (does he still show up?) is a nice guy from what I gather.

What rifle did you use?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Forgot to answer this...I just used an off the shelf Ruger 10/22, seen in the second picture above.
    Steve

I just signed up for the Saturday June 13th session in Sacramento.

4x4Mike wanna go too?

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/282209095%20%20
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Good for you Reg. What are you going to use?
    Steve

I think I'll bust out the 10/22

It's a good reason to get that new scope at the gunsmith's and spend the day at the range "sighting it in"

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast