Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding table design/build

Welding table design/build

Well in the spirit of copying Bob I brought something home today. It required me to put the baby seat in the passenger seat, the cargo shade on the roof and drive home with the tailgate open. For those concerned I did bungee the cargo shade to the roof rack. Oh and the baby was already home and I only drove about a block in my neighborhood.

Anyways here is what I hauled home.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/House/DSC07085.jpg[/img]

Aren't they nice?
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/House/DSC07086.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/House/DSC07087.jpg[/img]

Plan is to make something like Bob did for his welder. I'd like to make something that can be wheeled under my work bench, about waist high, and that I can weld on top of. I'd also like to keep my box of welding supplies on board as well. I don't have a lot of time to build this so It's going to take awhile. I need to grind off all the rivets and measure out the amounts of metal I have, then I'll start drawing. I'm not in a huge hurry which is nice. I guess I'll make time to cruise the internet and the metal yards for a table top as well. If I wait until I have the top it'll be nice because I can build the rest around it.

Re: Welding table design/build

After looking at the pictures I think I'm going to save all the silver support mesh stuff. The wife already claimed some for her garden but I think I can use some to make "shelves" to hold my stuff. This will make it all metal and customizable.

Navigator

are those hide-a-bed frames?
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Not sure. A neighbor was getting rid of them.

I hope to hit up the steel shop today to look for a top and maybe some legs.

Those look like they would make great gear lofts to hang from the ceilings in a garage.

Finally had time to grind all the rivets off. Those things were put in there so they would never come out. We have a baby at home so any noise is too much noise. Let's just say the ladies of the house did not like the air chisel, die grinder or angle grinder. Everything was loud but today the wife left for a little so I went to work. It took about 2 hours to get everything separated and sorted out.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Welding%20Table/DSC07113.jpg[/img]

I made lots of sparks.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Welding%20Table/DSC07110.jpg[/img]

I began to cut pieces for the top and sure as shit doing so makes too much noise. I sure hope I can finish this before the year is over. I think I'll do the top and work down. I've got a piece for the top but I think I'm going to add wood beneath it for thickness. I'm pretty sure there won't be any fire issue as the top will seal everything.

I've got the casters so I know how tall I can make this thing and still have it roll under the work bench.

Good luck,

Might want to talk to the wife about the noise thing.

With my kids i made all kinds of noise. there was no way i was going to be tip toeing around my house all day.

Vacuumed, cleaned watched TV in the same room. Ran air compressors in the garage, Table saw.

I would keep it to a dull roar till they feel asleep good and then would clean or do what ever. They got use to it easy enough.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

The baby was fine when she was awake and playing with my wife. It was when she was asleep. Everything would be going fine then the door to the garage would open and she would say I woke the baby up and that I'm on baby duty. The noise would startle her and wake her up. I have always made a lot of noise in the garage and I think I'm going to have to get used to keeping it down for a while. The one piece of metal I got around to cutting today was cut with a hacksaw

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    The baby was fine when she was awake and playing with my wife. It was when she was asleep. Everything would be going fine then the door to the garage would open and she would say I woke the baby up and that I'm on baby duty. The noise would startle her and wake her up. I have always made a lot of noise in the garage and I think I'm going to have to get used to keeping it down for a while. The one piece of metal I got around to cutting today was cut with a hacksaw
    I overheard some advice from my girlfriends dad (given to her cousin who has a newborn baby) make lots of noise, while they are awake and while they are asleep. They will get used to it, and it will make them heavier sleepers..
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

mike,

i cant see the pics from work, so im guessing you bought or acquired some bed frame. one of the things that really surprised me is how long my welding cart took to make. but not b/c i redesigned it, but the time it took to cut all the pieces perfectly. if you want, i can take measurements of mine so at least you have a reference to go by.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast