Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welding table design/build

Re: Welding table design/build

I'm thinking it will take a while to cut as well seeing that I'm using a hacksaw. Everything else i have to cut it with makes too much noise. I need to cut 2 more pieces and then I can tack together my top. I'm not sure on the design after that but I'm building down. The top is 27" deep and 34" wide so the bottom will be about the same dimensions. I plan on using the bottom to store all my scrap and material. Some where in the middle will be the welding machine and storage for tools and such. I'm pretty sure I have more than enough material to build what I want but I'll take it slow to make sure I don't have to redo it so thanks for the offer Bob. Another thing is that my welder is a cheapy flux core from HF so I'm not going to be doing any big projects. The cart thingy will double as a work surface I can move around and work on doing other things.

mike,

i forget what the technical name for bed frame metal is, but i recall many folks calling it "dirty iron" b/c it is really the worst of the worst scrap melted down iron you can get. thus, its quite a challenge to cut, esp w/ a hacksaw. i only cut a few pieces just to try b/f i decided i could do more in 2 wkends cutting them at lance's place than mine

dimensions:

imho, this cart is probably a little too small for most. but i designed it to fit within the small confines of my small-ish garage. if i had a bigger garage, i'd probably design it wider, but keep it the same length.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I'm thinking it will take a while to cut as well seeing that I'm using a hacksaw. Everything else i have to cut it with makes too much noise.
    I'm laughing because I feel your pain. :P

What about some metal blades on a jigsaw? Probably quieter than a grinder....
    My signature

Does anyone have or use a band saw that's slow enough speed to use on metal?
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I'm thinking it will take a while to cut as well seeing that I'm using a hacksaw. Everything else i have to cut it with makes too much noise.
    What about some metal blades on a jigsaw? Probably quieter than a grinder....
    Jigsaw, while marginally quieter, takes twice if not more longer. personally, id have all the pieces set up and cut them like an assembly line process and be done with it...and Lance's house

I got the top frame welded this afternoon. I came home early from work and the wife and baby were at the store so I went to town. The angle grinder with a cutting wheel is plenty fast and makes decent noise. The mistake I made was mitering the corners. I should have made every thing at right angles. Cutting and welding would have been quicker. My corners are square but there are gaps here and there because of the miter. My remaining shelves and bottom will be right angles like Bobs. At least now I'm started on the whole thing.

mike,

re mitering: i made the same mistake. only took me 2 cuts to figure out how difficult it was to make a perfect miter cut w/ a grinder

Well now I have a rolling 6 sided metal cube. It's not perfectly square but I think that I can straighten it up a little and adjust the casters. It's good and heavy which is what I wanted.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Welding%20Table/DSC07125.jpg[/img]

This is an example of the welds and filling in I had to do.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Welding%20Table/DSC07129.jpg[/img]

You're looking at about 3 passes on the corner, there was a 1/4" gap that I filled in. The gap was a result of sloppy cutting and the other pieces being slightly warped. Bob you'll be happy to know I have done no further mitering. I'm not sure if all the pieces were completely straight when I started (forgot to look) but there is some warpage. It sits flat though and doesn't look like it'll fall apart so I'm happy thus far. Once I get it a little straighter I'm going to add my shelf and then the top. After that there a few odds and ends like tabs, handles and paint. Just had some time so I made an update.

Looks good Mike! I say jump on it and I'll pull you around the neighborhood behind the 4Runner and see how it holds up! I hear casters do great at high speed. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Small_words
    Does anyone have or use a band saw that's slow enough speed to use on metal?
    Yes.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast