Thread: Leaking Upper Ball Joint and Torn Steering Rack Boot

Leaking Upper Ball Joint and Torn Steering Rack Boot

Hey guys, so I did some searching but still have some questions about my passenger side uppper ball joint which has been leaking grease for the past 2 weeks or so. The boot is still intact and doesn't appear to be torn but none the less there is still grease making its way out ever so slightly.

[img width=800 height=533]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/bmpjr/IMG_4408.jpg[/img]

I do have the Sonoran Steel 7.2 lift installed which has the balljoints at a little bit of an increased angle but Blake was looking at them the other day and said they weren't severe at all. Is it normal for the boots to leak a little after a lift install??

Also, the steering rack boot on my right side has a small tear in it. I was thinking that I could simply just replace the boot but I've been having a hard time tracking down a part number and also not so sure if I could easily disconnect the tie rod ends at home.

[img width=800 height=533]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/bmpjr/IMG_4403.jpg[/img]

If anybody has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Leaking Upper Ball Joint and Torn Steering Rack Boot

Ball Joint Question: No clue, doing research too!

Tie Rod Questions: Two easy answers for two easy questions! I think I can handle this one

Part Number available at http://www.toyodiy.com/parts (My new favorite website). for posterity: 45535-35010 or 45535-35030 (depending on the side- looks like yours is a passenger side tear). The dealer should be able to tell you what PN goes with specific side. looks to be about $22-26 dollars.

As for the separating the Outer Tie Rod End from the Steering Knuckle, this http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachm...1&d=1235158252 worked excellent (and quick, too!) about 5 turns on the threaded bolt, and the tie rod end popped off the knuckle). You can "rent" this from Autozone for free (they take a ~$15 deposit), or you can buy one for that price from them). They let me take it out to the parking lot to determine if it was too small/big by sizing it up.

Definitely want to use a puller tool like this rather than a fork, as the fork, from what i understand, will tear the boot on the tie rod end, thus necessitating a NEW tie rod end (which may not be a bad idea anyway!)

Hope that helps.

scott

1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

i have never seen or heard of "normal" ball joint boot leaking. it is likely torn somewhere in there! clean the area with something like simple green on a rag, and put your little finger and try to feel for a tear or something, just dont tear it anymore or start a new one with your fingernail.

its not absolutely crucial that you replace it right away, but generally the sooner the better. that one looks quite a bit better than my right one before i replaced it, and about the same as my left when i replaced it.

the tool that scott posted for removing the TRE from the knuckle may damage the boot on the TRE. they are not that expensive, and i would go ahead and replace it. (depending if they are original or not, how many miles on them, condition of the joint and boot, etc.

the boot on the rack should be replaced immediately. steering racks are very expensive, and you dont want to be replacing the whole thing. im unsure of the part numbers, but i think scott helped you out with that. you would have to look at the condition of the inner tierod.

if you are doing this yourself, pressing the upper balljoint out was... fun. i actually had to use a puller i rented from autozone to get it out, with the addition of a 1/2 inch black iron pipe nipple (i can give details if you need them). you will need a shop press to put the new one in, but generally not that hard to do. the tie rod end is pretty easy honestly, just make sure to note how far the original was threaded in and try to match it on the new. you will need an alignment afterward.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Bad ball joints replace.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Thanks for the input guys. I can't believe I have to go and spend more money on my truck. Why would the ball joints be bad already? I only have 83k on my 4Runner and its only been lifted for less than 5k.

Thanks for the input on all the proper tools Seanz0rz and Nuthuts96. There's probably no way I could do this by myself as I don't have anywhere near the mechanical expertise or experience. And thats a bummer that I'd have to re align my front end just to put that stupid boot on. I literally just had an alignment less than month ago.

Well you gotta pay to play I guess

The angle of the ball joint is different due to the lift. I had mine recently replaced for 225 at Firestone. I also had a lifetime alignment there from years ago, so i didnt have to pay for an alignment. I have 250k on the ball joints i just replaced for what its worth.
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL