Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Plan for My Summer Expedition!

Re: Expedition Checklist

ive packed all those tools before, they fit into 1 ammo can and 1 truck box (the flat boxes meant to sit behind the seat) my 35 mm socket never leaves my truck. never know when youll have to pull a cv shaft. i think i will pare everything down to the sizes that exist on the truck (i dont think ive ever used a 15mm on anything!) i know so far the most used are 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, 24, and 27. i dont think ive come across anything smaller than 10. ill also need to bring the ones that fit the standard size hardware that is on my skidplate.

my parents (mostly my dad) is pretty old school and will want the gas lantern. i only use coleman fuel because i can also use gasoline in them if i absolutely had to. cant do that with propane. carrying the extra gallon of fuel is not a problem. cooking will be meal-ish, and we have a 2 burner stove. i know i can get by with a headlight and cooking on the intake, but my parents want to be a little more comfortable on the trail. just a concession i have to make to have a good family vacation this summer. if it was up to my dad we would be taking his super duty with a camper or full on travel trailer, i like sleeping in the truck however.

i want to pack light, but i dont want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere eastern oregon, wishing i had this or that. ill try and trim it down as much as possible, but i dont want to travel that far offroad in the wilderness
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

camera?

where are you going? if you are going somewhere where dunes are possible, sand rails wouldnt be a bad idea
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Navigator

i believe most of his off roading will be on rockier, mountain areas.. since hes going from socal up to washington, with most of oregon done off road. although i dont know if he has anything planned for dunes while down here.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

there are some dunes in oregon, not sure if im crossing them or not. ill just have to drop the pressure down to 12psi, and go easy.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Tire repair kit and a table. Maybe a flare or 2 as well. You never know when one will come in handy. I never drive anywhere without my Sven saw either.
    http://www.svensaw.com/

oh i always carry flares. so useful in all kinds of situations. others added to the list.

hey, does anyone know if they sell emergency smoke canisters in california? im talking that nasty orange stuff used by the military to signal a LZ to helicopters. thats some awesome stuff to have if youre stranded and someones looking for you.

I'm not sure about CA sellers. You could check out the Equipped to Survive forums or Red Flare. From what I've read LZ's are pretty complicated. From what I have read the pilots have predetermined LZ's and won't land just anywhere. For the most part if you're lost or injured and you are not near or in a LZ they will send people to you and have them move you to where they can land. There are many examples of this in stories regarding the Rubicon. I always thought that if I needed someone to find me I'd light a big 'ol fire. Take your spare off the vehicle put it in a flat open space, douse with gas and light.

If you really wanted some pocket flares or smoke signals make buddy buddy with a service man. Growing up I had a neighbor that was a marine and he would give us all kinds of stuff to play with. Forth of July was the best. He had small, like film canister sized, smoke thingys as well as the pencil flares.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    TP would be important, or is that what the wet wipes, shower wipes, paper plates, paper towels, and paper maps are used for?
    DAn, this was my exact thought! I thought I was going to be all clever and write something very similar and then I scrolled down and saw you beat me to it.

Sean, I'll look at the list a little deeper later and post again.
    My signature

Rescue Tape or similar self fusing silicon tape. You can get a less expensive version at Harbor Freight or Home Depot

• Is Self-Fusing (no adhesive to loosen with heat)
    • 700 PSI Tensile Strength
    • Insulates 8,000 Volts per layer
    • Withstands 500° F Degrees of heat (260° C)
    • Remains flexible to -85° F (-60° C)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Rescue Tape or similar self fusing silicon tape. You can get a less expensive version at Harbor Freight or Home Depot

• Is Self-Fusing (no adhesive to loosen with heat)
    • 700 PSI Tensile Strength
    • Insulates 8,000 Volts per layer
    • Withstands 500° F Degrees of heat (260° C)
    • Remains flexible to -85° F (-60° C)
    That's the stuff I was thinking about. When I become a super hero my suit will be made of it. I like it's characteristics.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast