Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Plan for My Summer Expedition!

Re: Expedition Checklist

should i carry two spares? one is a full size, other is my factory spare. im thinking for the distance traveled, i want 2. but the factory spare weighs quite a bit, and it would be nice to shed that weight.

heres the current list:
    Camping:
     Stove
     Lantern
     Folding Stove Stand
     Lantern Stand
     Coleman Fuel
     Fuel filter/funnel
     First Aid Kit
     Big Rope
     Small Rope
     Para Cord
     Folding Table
     Bucket w/ lid
     Wet Wipes
     Toilet Paper
     Shower Wipes
     Bug Spray
     Trash Bags
     Water Filter
     Water
     Ice Chest
     Blanket for Ice Chest
     Sleeping Bags
     Air Mattress
     Pump
     Roll Mattress
     Tarps
     Silverware
     Pots and Pans
     Paper Plates
     Paper Towels
     Bath Towels

Recovery Gear:
     Big Strap
     Small Strap
     High Lift Jack
     Shackles
     Come-along

Vehicle:
     Brake Fluid (small container)
     ATF (2 quarts)
     Oil (5w-30) (2 quarts)
     Coolant (1 gallon)
     Fix-a-Flat
     Extra Belts
     5 gallon gas cans
     Gas filler nozzle
     Funnel (long, blue)
     Flares
     Collection of Common bolts/washers/nuts
     Collection of Electrical
     Inverter

Tools:
     1/4” drive sockets
     3/8” drive sockets
     1/2” drive sockets
     Combo Wrenches
     Ratcheting Wrenches
     Breaker Bar with Pipe
     Crow bar
     Compressor
     Air Gauge
     Tire Repair Kit
     Hammer
     Vice Grips
     Channel Locks
     Bottle Jack
     Folding Shovel
     Axe
     Shop Rags (10)
     Terry Rags (5)
     Rescue Tape

Navigation:
     Compass
     Paper Maps
     Computer with Charger
     GPS Receiver
     Cell phone chargers

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

How far are you going?

Sean, don't worry about two spares. Make sure you have a good tire repair kit (which you already have listed). You aren't traveling down in Baja, so in the odd case you do get two flats, more than likely one will be able to be repaired with your kit. Or at least to make it a slow leak and then you can limp it to civilazation, since you have some type of onboard air. With the type of trip and terrain you are doing, it is highly unlikely that you are going to encounter two badly torn sidewalls that are unrepairable.
    My signature

One more quick thing, I'd ditch the gallon of coolant. If for some reason, you spring a leak or something, just use water. Reason being that, if something does happen like that, you are going to be limping it to civilazation to get fixed anyways. Once there and it is fixed, you can buy coolant. No use adding more coolant to a leaking system.

What are the difference between wetwipes and shower wipes? I'd just go with baby wipes. Get a box at costco, they're unscented and the box has a bunch of packages. The packages are great for stashing all around the vehicle so that you're always close to some. I keep one in the back and one stashed under a front seat or in the seat pocket. The others can be stashed in your gear.
    My signature

Offroad: 700+ miles. Total distance traveled for whole trip will be ~ 3000

Thanks for the tire info. I'll go pick up a kit. Recommendations?

Shower wipes are irreplaceable. I've tried baby wipes, didn't like it.

Picked up the HF awesome tape.

I'm having doubts about fitting everything (shaving 1 or 2 small things won't matter) so I'm going to load up the truck next weekend and see if I can fit it all or if I need to bribe a trailer from someone coughLancecough

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I was thinking about your trip today on my bike ride. 3 people and enough stuff to make that trip will be cramped. Will the trails you're going to be on be doable with a trailer? I think that would make a world of difference. Now you have room for a keg. You know, so you have more room in the ice chest for steak.

Sean, I hadn't heard of shower wipes before, are they bigger then baby wipes?

This is the tire repair kit I have:
    ARB Tire Kit Nice kit and small hard case, luckily haven't had to use it yet. (knocks on wood)

Definately ditch the gallon of coolant and just carry an extra gallon of drinking water. Reason being, it will have dual uses in an emergency situation. Can be used in the radiator or as extra drinking water if you are stranded for multiple days.

To be comfy, like Mike said, you will need either a trailer or at least some type of roof cargo system. Either a cargo rack or hard case to put all the lightweight bulky stuff up top. I know everyone talks about raised COG and aerodynamics, but it really won't matter for the type of wheeling and travel you plan on doing. I've done the three people and gear with no trailer for the mojave road when we went with you. Granted one was a kid but a kid in a car seat takes up just as much room as an adult and we were comfortable and could have done a longer trip if need be. I also had room for more gear as the back was only filled up to the bottom of the windows. The front passenger and rear passenger will probably want to trade back and forth from time to time.

I suggest putting the cooler in the middle seat behind the driver with the backseat passenger on the passenger side. A couple reasons for this. The cooler with ice is usually heavish so it moves some of the weight to the center of the vehicle, it also will get much less direct sunlight while traveling so the ice stays longer, and three, you don't have to worry about stacking stuff on top of it in the back and then digging through it just to make lunch. Also the rear passenger has access to it while on the road and can pass up items to the front seat, or if you have monkey arms like me, you can reach behind you and grab an ice cold Diet Dr. Pepper while on the move. Also, it is easy to strap the ice chest down in this position using ratchet straps, bungees, etc...

Since you are taking a hi lift jack, you can probably ditch the pipe that you have listed with your breaker bar as the hi lift handle should work well for that.
    My signature

Thanks so mug for your post chris! I'm on my iPhone for the weekend, so looking and posting are a bit challenging.

I think I posted a link in this thread to the wet ones outdoor wipes they are super strong. With the addition of a little warm water, 2 are enough to wash up very well!!!

I have that missile case identical to yours. Looking to put all the light weight stuff (clothes, sleeping bags, mattresses, some food items, etc. ) in addition to camp chairs and gasoline on the roof rack. I'm thinking I'll limit myself to 10 extra gallons, esp with gas fairly common along the trail (100 miles or so). I like the idea of putting the ice chest on the rear seat. I'll have to see if mine fits.

I'm going to explore the option of putting my water where my spare went. That would at least lower the cg. The air bags for the rear axle should be here next week

I'll go change the title of this thread since it's far beyond just my checklist.

Now, someone school me on trailers! Any one rent them in socal? Adventuretrailers doesn't rent anymore. Google has left me unsatasfied.

What kind of off-road fuel economy do you anticipate with all this extra weight?

10 mpg worse case senario.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast