Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: fuster's runner build continued from the garage rig pic forum...

Re: fuster's runner build continued from the garage rig pic forum...

Equipment failure this weekend forces delay.......
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

it's been a week!

im actually crying due to the lack of updates...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Delays suck!
    &quot;Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety&quot;<br /><br />&quot;Religion is poison&quot;<br /><br />&quot;If a government uses the instrument of power in its hands for the purpose of leading a people to ruin, then rebellion is not only the right, but the duty of every individual&quot;<br /><br />&quot;Censorship is telling a man he can&#039;t have a steak because a baby can&#039;t chew it&quot;

I apologize for my absence. I've had some unavoidable conflicting directives for the past six weeks and my progrees, while steady, has been slow. I have been taking digi-pics and making some notes for the next update. If all goes as planned, it will be a dramatic and satisfying one.

As a teaser, my runner has never looked worse in some of the pics....and and she has never looked better in the most recent pics. I must say that in her new color, she makes me erect....
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    she makes me erect....
    glad you are able to stand again... i CANT wait...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I must say that in her new color, she makes me erect....
    Does Mrs. Fuster know that you had a nudey latina air brushed on the hood?
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I must say that in her new color, she makes me erect....
    Does Mrs. Fuster know that you had a nudey latina air brushed on the hood?
    Hehe...I cover my tracks too well.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Okay I'm spraying the remainder of parts today so I have some time to upload and comment on the progress. I would have just uploaded pics for all to see, but without the context of commentary, I think the experience of perusal would have been disappointingly flat. Unfortunately, it is the commentary which takes so much of the little time I have right now. The scope of this aspect of the project seems to have broadened as expediency suggested and the effort evolved.

Originally, I wanted to upload and explain what I did, how, and why, all in one sitting so one could see the ugly and the beautiful simultaneously. I thought that would provide the most bang for the buck, as it were. It appears that if I wait to it all at once, I may never get this part done. So, over the next few days, I'll post a few pics and narration each day.

Below is an example of expediency incarnate. This runner had been repainted before, presumably by the buffoonish Earl Sheib (sp). The prep had been cursory if done at all, so there was very little adhesion. In this pic, one can see the original red with a sheen on it popping through the second paint which had peeled and oxidized. This is a catastrophic failure and was present on the hood, doors, roof, cowl, rockers and front fenders.

It is a problem which requires cutting through to a sound substrate. For my situation, I selected to chemically strip the doors, hood, cowl. The front fenders were rusted out, so I replaced them with new ones. The roof and rocker panels were sanded through to the original red.

Also, note the several black circles drawn on the roof. These indicate dents from previous abuse; likely from a giant wooden badger.....

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

The next several pics demonstrate how the hood was stripped. I first scored the surface with 60g paper to open the paint up and then brushed some Jasco chemical stripper on. Keeping the stripper wet (here come the childish chuckles ), I waited for ten minutes at 75 degrees faren. and watched the stripper do the work (more chuckles). In the pics you can see the progress as the paint begins to lift. As a rule, I NEVER scrape paint. If it doesn't come off as I lightly run my blade under the paint, then I get what will come and reapply the stripper. After the paint is removed, I kill the stripper with lacquer thinner so it doesn't hurt my new finishes.

Here is the hood with some stripper on it

It is beginning to lift

Half way done. Note the wrinkled paint and my blade (which is NOT a scraper)(scraping paint can damage the metal and cause the incentive to continue with project to vanish)(beware of moose)

For perspective...

There is no accounting for why I can't take a pic in focus with an auto focus digicam
    Were it that one could see what is displayed here, he would see a can of lacquer thinner, a stainless steel bowl and a brush to both apply stripper and kill it later. The surface of the hood was beautiful. Sorry you missed out.

This same process was done to the doors and cowl.

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast