Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: fuster's runner build continued from the garage rig pic forum...

fuster's runner build continued from the garage rig pic forum...

Well after the usual stretch of binge procrastination, I started my 85 runner build-up. As with most refinements, one must disassemble the object to it's basic components before overhauling. I'm tired. Here are some pics. I have others, but can't find the upload cable for the digi-cam.

Removing the last of the axle paraphernalia.

Like father, like son. "Dad, this gun is heavy"

Displaying our prize. Ready for disassembly...

Here it sits all stripped down. Parts are stored for cleaning and re-assembly. The other axle is from an 89 V6 runner....I may use that one later.

An example of the contortions I must practice to appease the Student Housing Compliance Officer. While there is no axle/leaf springs secured to those wheels, at least they are under the vehicle and if the usual drive-by inspection is executed, he'll never notice my flagrant violation of the rules.

And finally, the carnage. Apparently, pneumatic tools and a heaping dose of grease/dirt amalgamation is not manly enough, I must also bleed....

Here we have the front axle cleaned of about 1/4" of dirt/grease/oil build-up and the surface rust scaled to receive the POR15 coating.

After the POR coatings

The new inner seal installed

New trunnion bearing races installed

Here we have the French Special Forces.....

Some say that the mother of invention is necessity...I say the mother is desperation. Here is a pic of the tool I made to set the inner axle seal without damaging it or installing it askew. It is the 2 1/8 axle bearing nut socket with the drive adapter placed on the inside with an extension for striking with the BMFH (also pictured). I used a similar version to start the trunnion bearing races and finished driving them home with a brass drift (hard enough to do the job, but softer than steel so as not to damage the part.)

Below is the driver side the knuckle and some other part, the name of which escapes me...

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Re: fuster's runner build

Torque bar,

And it escaped my truck too and never made it back
    Might have joined up with the French Special forces.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Re: fuster's runner build continued from the garage rig pic forum...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie 00
    Torque bar,

And it escaped my truck too and never made it back
    Might have joined up with the French Special forces.
    Hey Reg, I understand that without the torque bar, the front end gets alittle squirrely. Was that your experience too?
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

I didn't really notice any difference.
    It was my daily driver for a couple of years.
    And i did a lot of driving in the Bay area. All over San Fran. Back and forth to the airports. took it up to Tahoe a couple times in the snow.
    Driving in the bay had plenty of instances of quickly stopping to avoid knuckleheads.
    I honestly don't think it made a difference, be sides it doesnt fit with my lift anyway
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

yeah, that's what I thought. I doubt it'll fit with my lift either...Maybe I'll leave it off too. Seems like it would limit articulation.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    yeah, that's what I thought. I doubt it'll fit with my lift either...Maybe I'll leave it off too. Seems like it would limit articulation.
    I dont believe it fits if you are converting to hi-steer. I cut mine off
    Low down and durrrrrrty rock-stacking web wheeler

i think i have heard of a mod you can do to retain it but use a shock or something like that instead of the solid bar

At this point I'm installing the knuckle stud kit from Wabfabhttp://www.wabfab.org/products/frontaxle/frontaxle.htm

These are the trunnion bearings packed and ready for installation. Best to rest the top one in it's race (as seen), then set the knuckle over it and then slip the bottom one in place. The knuckle will keep the bottom bearing from falling out of it's race and into the dirt.

This image shows the driver side knuckle assembled with trunnion bearings, steering arm and felt wipers with rock rings http://www.wabfab.org/products/frontaxle/frontaxle.htm from the Wabster... I temporarily used the old fasteners until I could find a local supplier of stainless steel metric bolts/nuts/washers...

In this one I show both knuckles assembled with the stainless hardware and the backing plate eliminator ring from Wabzilla http://www.wabfab.org/products/frontaxle/frontaxle.htm

May I present sheer brilliance...

Almost there.... In this one the axle is suspended by the lift springs and one can see the U=bolt flip kit and the new 6" shackles from the Wabenstein http://www.wabfab.org/products/suspe...ltflipkits.htm http://www.wabfab.org/products/suspension/shackles.htm

Madeline waitng for her new shocks, axles and hubs.

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

When are you moving???? TJ
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

Mrs. Fuster graduates in Aug, but the student housing rent cycle is complete the last day of May. So we either must sign another lease through the summer or move out. This place is a dump and Mrs. Fuster's last two clinical rotations are in UT, so the fam is moving up there until she fulfills her practical instruction. We have family up there and it's about 20-25 degrees cooler in the summer there than it is here.

I'll be done with all of the mods I have planned for now by mid May. Still have to install the back lift spring packs and shackles and U-bolt flip kit. Then comes the bed cutting/welding fest. Additionally, I'll be shooting base and clear coats of Anthracite color.

So you can see why I've been more of a phantom lately....
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast