Thread: Static while using bluetooth

Static while using bluetooth

Couple months back I bought a new Sony Headunit MEX-BT3700U for its Bluetooth and iPod (usb) capability. All functions work fine except when I'm using bluetooth with my cell phone the person on the other end can barely hear me, they hear static. This only happens when I press on the accelerator while using bluetooth. If I'm stopped or let off the accelerator while talking with the bluetooth the person on the other end hears me fine. I can hear the person fine on my end whether I'm on the accelerator or not. I'm wondering if alternator is causing some kind of interference in the bluetooth mic.

I've had sony headunits prior to this and the wiring harness is the same so I unplugged the old one and plugged this one in.

Any ideas why this may be happening? Thx!
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Re: Static while using bluetooth

Ok I might be steering you in the "wrong" direction but could this be a grounding issue on the headunit?

Carry on
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Navigator

i had an issue like this when i built the stereo in my old civic... there was a whine audible through the speakers that was only apparent after i built the system with amps etc... i had to buy something called a "ground loop isolator" ... i dont know if they make something like that for your bluetooth adapter...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Thanks guys I'll look into both of these things. I didn't get a chance to check the thread in a few days. I think it may be a ground issue. I'll try grounding it nearby the stereo as opposed to it being wired back to stock stereo ground wire.

Kevin - I know the whine you're talking about, I don't have that at all. My music comes through fine, I hear the other person on bluetooth fine. The person on the opposite end hears static when I press the gas pedal.

For now I let off the gas pedal when I talk, kinda opposite to a CB mic. I'll check the ground as soon as I have enough time and report back.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Thought I'd report back...this issue was resolved by attaching an external mic. The built-in mic on the headunit is not good. I plugged in an aftermarket mic to the back of the stereo (since it has that option) and its working crystal clear.

Navigator

good to hear all is resolved ^_^ ... speaking of ground loop isolator, i need to get one for the 4runner... lol
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I was looking for a good deck and the same one (Sony MEX-BT3700U) just came up for sale and I snagged it for $200. I'm sure it will drop during Boxing Day (Canadian Black Friday) sales, but my old deck (Sony CDX-M730) just wasn't up to par with modern standards. I must say it was a bit of a disappointment that there is no dimmer hookup at all (you can dim the LCD but not the bezel LED). The bluetooth connection for your phone is great. Haven't used it enough to know if the in deck mic stinks but at least I know how to solve it now.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Jamie, I love the deck, I paid the same for mine from Fry's electronics. I bought the external mic from Amazon for a Garmin and turned out the plug on the mic was 2.5mm so bought an adapter 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male from dealextreme and haven't looked back since. I'll see if I can post some pictures. I use the USB with all my songs on a flash drive, it also works great with IPODs. I've used IPOD Nano 4th gen and IPOD touch 1st gen.

I definitely had to dim the LCD it was too bright, the other LED's don't bother me.

I'm definately liking the deck and I was looking for a small usb drive for my songs because I don't have an iPod (I just wouldn't use one other than in the car). I used a larger USB drive but I can just envision one of the kids breaking off the USB drive or damaging the deck or both when horsing around in the truck. So the hunt was on for the smallest USB drive I could occasionally update songs on my laptop and then leave in the deck.

I think I found what I was looking for (see pic)!!!!! It's an 8GB Nano drive from Eagle Tec and man is it small. I'll let you all know how well it works when I get it. I got it on eBay for $27 shipped to Canada. Thought it was worth sharing anyway.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD