Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction to Plastic Tech

Introduction to Plastic Tech

I've had some questions posed to me concerning my plastic projects. i have probably a few thousand hours of research into the subjects, and heres a quick run down of what ive learned:

know your plastic! its easy to say something is made of plastic, but what kind? most interior pieces in our trucks are a strange concoction, but luckily it will be stamped on the back of every piece what it is. most other items will tell you what they are, with a letter code in brackets like this: >ABS< or >PE< or sometimes the recycle triangle with the abbreviation underneath.

some examples of uses of common plastics:
    ABS - alot of consumer electronics housings. ive sourced scrap abs plastic from old routers, mice, keyboards, VCR's, etc. also, you can find abs plastic in pipe and fitting form at your local home center. finding sheets requires finding a plastics specialty store, or somewhere online.

PVC - polyvinylchloride is often found as white water pipe at home depot. other thing are made of it, but not terribly common for our purposes.

acrylic - acrylic, often found in the glass section of home depot, is the most widely available in sheet form. commonly known as plexiglass and lexan. very useful plastic!

PE - both low density (LD) and high density (HD) PE, or polyethylene are by far the most common plastics in our households. everything from ketchup bottles to zip lock bags are a form of PE. they are both incredibly resistant to solvents, and are relatively inert, making them perfect for food storage.

PP - much like PE, polypropylene is relatively inert and resistant to most solvents. both PP and PE will often have a waxy feel to them, depending on their manufacturing process.

special note: My research was all based around the plastic that makes up a 3rd gen's center dash bezel. this is >PPE+PS<. PPE is much like PP and PE, and gives the plastic its waxy feel. however, the PS, or polystyrene, component, allowed me to adhere ABS to it. without this PS component, i would have been dead in the water.

next, find an appropriate solvent for your plastic. generally speaking, acetone and MEK will work for just about anything, except PE and PP. Acetone will evaporate faster than MEK, so take that into account for your project. typically acetone is the better choice, and by no means is it an instant cure time. never mix the two solvents!

we use these facts to our advantage to make glue and shallow fill material. for me, this means making "sludge." sludge is chips or shavings of your plastic of choice, dissolved in your solvent of choice. generally, you should always try to match your sludge material to the plastic your working on. the ideal consistency is up to you. what works best for me is the consistency of honey at a cool room temperature or so. the smaller the pieces going into the sludge, the quicker they will dissolve. now for a vessel. glass is always an option, but it is very difficult to apply this material from a glass jar. using our knowledge of solvents, we see that PP and PE are perfect containers for this material. personally, i use a plastic bottle i found at walmart in the cookware section. this one is clear and comes with a cap, they also have red and yellow ones for ketchup and mustard, but those lack caps. this bottle is perfect, and i have a few extras lying around for trying out different consistencies and solvents. i have also experimented with poking a very small hole in a quart size ziplock and using it like a pastry bag. both work well, but i feel i have much more control with the bottle.

this sludge works as a glue and filler. the acetone in the sludge will actually work to dissolve the plastic its applied to, and once evaporated off, will leave one solid piece of plastic, as opposed to 2 pieces joined with an epoxy or glue. this becomes an extremely strong joint.

i get my plastic sheets from a local supplier, S&W Plastics in San Bernardino, CA. you can order it online from McMaster-Carr, and other places. i pay about 2.25/square foot.

to cut plastics, i am using a bandsaw with a fine tooth scroll blade on it. you can also cut it with a razor knife, although i would recommend against it. a jig saw or any saw with a fine tooth on it will work great. you can also cut it with a dremel, though it is very difficult to keep the plastic from melting. of course the usual warnings apply, in addition to this: cutting generates friction, which in turn generates heat. molten plastic burns, bad. so be careful!

a great resource for research: http://www.ides.com/plastics/default.htm

plastic is SO easy to work with! so much easier than metal! please, if you have any questions about ANYTHING concerning plastics, please post it here and i will do my best to answer it, or point you in the direction of someone or somewhere that can help you. plastics are an amazing material, but can seem very intimidating. with a little basic knowledge of the plastics most common to us, you will find there are so many opportunities to do wonderful and creative things with the material.

//hopefully this will become wiki-ized someday
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Introduction to Plastic Tech

here is a link to the thread that spawned this, and some of my work:
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...70406#msg70406

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

This is fantastic! Thanks Sean!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Wow, SEan, thanks for the knowledge!
    My signature

yeah, good stuff. Thanks
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

sean, this is great info. thansk for the research.

so heres a bit of an addition, highlighting the inability to work with some plastics using the solvent method.

Good Times (lance) has a broken headlight mounting tab:

so i went about seeing if i could fix it. my research into the plastic said no, but i thought i might have some luck.

i didnt. once dry enough to hold itself, i made a small tug on the piece, and the formerly liquid plastic completely seperated from the tab. the plastic that makes up that housing, PP-T20, might as well be teflon. (incidently, teflon is a special kind of PE) it is a dirative of the plastic making up the squeeze bottle i use as a container, so of course it isnt going to melt with the solvent. i hoped to at least to achieve a mechanical bond, and i did to some degree, but not enough to stand up to the riggers of high speed desert running and bumpy rock crawling.

the only way to fuse this kind of plastic is using heat. ive had very limited experience welding plastics together, and didnt want to mess up an expensive headlamp housing with a torch. the only surfaces the sludge actually stuck to were because of mechanical adhesion. no chemical reaction had taken place.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Sean, if I were to build a box using an aluminum frame and some sort of plastic sheet (maybe about 1/4" thick) for the sides, what kind of sheet would you recommend based on cost and strength? I know we talked briefly about this in chat a while ago, but I can't remember what you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    ...and didnt want to mess up an expensive headlamp housing with a torch.
    I'd like to be there for that!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

if space allows, I would cut some appropriately thick metal, make a bracket on both sides, and use blind rivets to hold in place. on the underside of the metal, I'd use a generous supply of your adhesive---whatever kind that might be

lance has a rivet gun.

sean: what are you using for the cupholder itself? I need to make one for the Benz. I dont want to just cut out holes. I want soemthing to contain the liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Sean, if I were to build a box using an aluminum frame and some sort of plastic sheet (maybe about 1/4" thick) for the sides, what kind of sheet would you recommend based on cost and strength? I know we talked briefly about this in chat a while ago, but I can't remember what you suggested.
    well that depends on the dimensions of the box and its intended use. small boxes id recommend abs or acrylic. larger i would recommend HDPE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast