Thread: Better Mileage with All-terrain than Mud-terrain.

Better Mileage with All-terrain than Mud-terrain.

Well as the top says, any experience.
    size 33x12.5
    4Runner &#039;95 3.0TD.<br />2&quot; ironman with BJ Spacers.<br />2½&quot; Bodylift.<br />33&quot; BFG M/T 15x10 Wheels.<br />Safari Snorkel.<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...p;topic=5996.0

Re: Better Mileage with All-terrain than Mud-terrain.

I've always heard that you can get a little better mileage on All-Terrains, but I would think the true difference is negligible as far as mileage goes, the true factor will be wear on the tires as you drive them on the road, and the manners of the tires on pavement. M/T's will be noisier, and usually a harsher ride than A/T's. Usually (depending on tire manufacturer of course) the more aggressive tires are made out of a slightly softer rubber compound, and will wear a little faster when driven on the road. Gotta take all of this stuff into consideration. Good Luck!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I had both MT's and AT's on an older 1990 4runner and did not notice any difference in mileage. They were both in a 31X10.5 size. I would think the weight of the tire would have more of an effect than the tread pattern.

To a certain degree tread pattern will have an effect. As the tread squirms under the weight of the vehicle, whether going straight or through turns, it will increase rolling resistance - that's why stiffer / less aggressive tire compounds have lower rolling resistance. A higher rolling resistance requires more work to keep it moving - another example would be running higher pressure in the tire vs. driving with low pressure, one will definately give you better economy.

Really though, the difference would probably be negligable compared to how your driving habits / style affect fuel economy.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I'm guessing it will be negligable at best, unless for some reason one of the sets are much heavier per tire.
    My signature