Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just installed Total Chaos lower link skids

Re: Just installed Total Chaos lower link skids

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Ric, I forgot, check your link bushings, that sort of tear/break can also occur from too much off-angle articulation, loading up the pockets, stressing that one specific point of the brace. Looking at the pics I just copied, they appear to also be skewed and offset. Worn bushings or possibly the rear axle pulling sideways on full articulation are possibilities.

Thoughts here?
    thankx, Ill check them today
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Re: Just installed Total Chaos lower link skids

Now, sorta O-T..looking at Mike's design (which I do like) I think when we finally get mine taken care of, I might copy him, but round the outside corners with the flapper more, then think about using some rod on the inside edges to spread out the shear forces. Now whether or not to just tack them or fully tig them is the question.

My other concern with Mike's design is how will the outer plates be transferring the stresses to the support's outer surface, away from the edges and would they possibly cause the factory sheet to get dimpled and create an issue there later on.
    The 4th gen and 3rd gen mounts are similar but also quite different. For one the 3rd gen mounts are larger and have an angle outward. The 4th gen ones are actually smaller but still look adequate and resonable in design.

As for mine I had to do some work on them and I haven't update this thread or the other one. I cut 75% of the metal off the side plate to allow for the outward bent in the mount. This made installation much easier and IMO the metal cut out was not needed. Most of the protection is needed in the forward facing piece and the sides/ears are for mounting and a little side protection. My inboard sides of the mount most likely won't see much damage and if they do it'll be because I slid sideways and, depending on the side, took out my gas tank or muffler also. The outer sides are out in the open and are pretty much perpendicular to the ground, this side remained on my design. With the inboard side cut out the mount isn't as boxed and has some wiggle room. If it needs more than it currently has it's likely to snap off the frame. I replaced the factory bolt with a 4.5" grade 8 bolt, drilled a drain hole in each one and called it good for now. This thread has been hijacked enough. Check my other thread for updated pic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234