Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just installed Total Chaos lower link skids

Re: Just installed Total Chaos lower link skids

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    when can we expect production and whats your retail cost going to look like?
    I'm not totally sure I'd produce these. For all I know someone would buy them, jack up their mounts and want me to pay to fix their frame. Really I think I'll run these and see how they work. It wouldn't be any harder to make thicker ones, I just went with 11 gauge because I already had it. In all if I sat down and did it all at once it wouldn't take more than a couple of hours. Hardest part was measuring for the holes and drilling them. I still haven't checked to see if they are exactly where they need to be (damn cardboard tolerances). If you'd like I could photo copy the cardboard template and email it to you. I was thinking about PDF'ing it anyways so I don't loose it.
    id defiantly be interested in the pdf or if you decide to make a few. are you going to weld yours up completely to the mounts? might as well and it should help out the strength

Once I get them mounted I'll how well I can get in there. If it's worth it I'll stitch them in. Maybe even cut another long skinny piece and stagger it so when I weld it in it'll tie in the frame to the skid piece.

Well, I guess we are a bit off topic here with a custom design and fab skid, but the concept and design are interesting.

As for the TC skid I mounted on my truck months ago...it has taken several hits. I came down on it hard enough for me to stop mid trail and crawl under expecting the worse. What I found was a lot of rock dust, some serious scraps and no real damage to either the skid or the stock lower link mount it is protecting. So, as an update I'll say that these TC skids have worked great for me. They are not over designed, no clearance issues, strong and durable. Now I need to get under there and paint the scraps before rust starts attacking the metal...maybe SS would be a cool way to go.
    T4Rfun<br />aka-Chris<br /><br />TOTAL CHAOS FABRICATION - KING SHOCKS - SHROCKWORKS 4X4 PRODUCTS - EQUIPT EXPEDITION OUTFITTERS - BUDBUILT - GOODYEAR - PIAA - PERMA-COOL - WARN - AMSTEEL BLUE - COBRA<br /><br />

well since total chaos couldnt take 5 seconds to reply/respond to my email, we went ahead and repaired it:

Ill never buy a thing from them again, INFACT, Im going to fill in the TC on the sides of the skid, I will NOT advertise for such a chitty company, with very POOR customer service.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Did you try calling them?

I don't trust emails for something like this because it is easy to get looked over or end up in the junk folder. Just saying...
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Did you try calling them?

I don't trust emails for something like this because it is easy to get looked over or end up in the junk folder. Just saying...
    I agree. I think I'm occasionally guilty of using email when a phone call might be easier, quicker and more appropriate. I know the team and TC wouldn't be happy with a product issue like this and would appreciate knowing what and how it might have happened. Give them a call and then if you aren't satisfied let us know.
    T4Rfun<br />aka-Chris<br /><br />TOTAL CHAOS FABRICATION - KING SHOCKS - SHROCKWORKS 4X4 PRODUCTS - EQUIPT EXPEDITION OUTFITTERS - BUDBUILT - GOODYEAR - PIAA - PERMA-COOL - WARN - AMSTEEL BLUE - COBRA<br /><br />

sometimes customers cant pick up the phone during that companies business hours to make that call...

my point still stands, if a company cant take 5 seconds to reply to an email, thats pretty chitty customer service..PERIOD. if they wont take 5 seconds to reply to an email, what makes you think they are going to answer the phone ??? just so you all know, I DID CALL THEM, (during thier normal business hours) and geuss what ?? NO ANSWER...
    screw them, they have chitty customer service, no, i take that back, have have NO customer service.

IMHO, and well, limited materials experience with this stuff, it looks to me that the design flaw lies in the area where the forward plate is bent. They look to have half round holes at the bend, but without them being smoothed out, or filled in.

This created what appears to be a stress riser that propagated from first your inside corner, then through that being able to flex, allowed it to also begin from the outside one, finally meeting in that middle area where the two cracks met haphazardly.

Now, sorta O-T..looking at Mike&#39;s design (which I do like) I think when we finally get mine taken care of, I might copy him, but round the outside corners with the flapper more, then think about using some rod on the inside edges to spread out the shear forces. Now whether or not to just tack them or fully tig them is the question.

My other concern with Mike&#39;s design is how will the outer plates be transferring the stresses to the support&#39;s outer surface, away from the edges and would they possibly cause the factory sheet to get dimpled and create an issue there later on.

Maybe it would be just better to either fully plate them, or make replacement ones out of higher gauge, torch off the factory stuff and weld &#39;em in?

funny this was just "bumped" I just got an email from them, from a Nicole, she seemed nice and realy sincere, was appolojetic and as far as Im concerned we are good...

Ric, I forgot, check your link bushings, that sort of tear/break can also occur from too much off-angle articulation, loading up the pockets, stressing that one specific point of the brace. Looking at the pics I just copied, they appear to also be skewed and offset. Worn bushings or possibly the rear axle pulling sideways on full articulation are possibilities.

Thoughts here?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast