Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Airlift 60743 with LC coils lift

Airlift 60743 with LC coils lift

so i got my airlift 60743 (spec'd for the stock 4runner) kit in the mail. i opened them up and looked, they seemed a bit short. i went and measured from the upper spring pocket to the spring perch on the axle and found a distance of 11" (the truck is sitting mostly level, if not slightly low in the rear). i measured the uninflated bag and rubber spacer together, and came up with a measurement of about 9 inches.

so my question: with the longer FZJ80 front coils in the rear of my truck, should i have purchased air bags that were longer? is the bag going to extend the extra 2 inches to keep me level when im fully loaded? i read every thread on the subject i could find before i ordered, and i seemed assured that the 60743 kit would work just fine with the lift coils.

my truck details: 98 with NO center spring bumpstops (the recall was never performed)
    front coils from a FZJ80 landcruiser in the rear of my truck

i could really use your help guys! thanks!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Airlift 60743 with LC coils lift

see if you can get a set of the conical bumpstops from a dealer (since the recall was never done) or pick some up from a member or a junkyard. take a hack saw and cut off about two of the "pucks" on the bumpstops and then intall them as normal. they will also give you 3/8" of lift as well since they go between the body and the top of the coil. the bag will then contact the shortened bumpstop, and the bag will act an an ajustable "bumper" for it of sorts.
    -andy

i want to be clear. the bags, uninflated, should touch both the lower perch and the upper spring pocket, correct?

what do you think my chances are of going to toyota and actually getting the recall part with out them installing it? i dont want them touching my vehicle.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

you are correct on the fitment of the bags. when installing on a stock height 99 (1" taller than others), you cut off about 3 pucks and the bag is slightly compressed. when you air them up to 20#, you get about 1/2" lift, and when you go up to 40#, you can get over an inch.

if you're a couple inches taller, then just cut off fewer pucks.

i honestly doubt they'll give them to you unless you know someone there. you'll probably find some from a member, or pay $20 for some at a junk yard.
    -andy

i just dont want to limit my articulation for the rear buy adding so much material in the springs that they act as a new, much longer bumpstop.

anyone know of a longer bag with a similar diameter?

edit: ill call airlift on monday (not open on the weekends) and see about getting a bag that is 4.5 inches in diameter and 2 inches longer than the 60743 kit.

I have a '99 and the airlift bags. I think Toyota has 3 different bump stops for my year (and highlander edition), I believe I have the middle ones if that means anything. I had to cut about half the bump stop off according to the instructions. I have run 20 psi in my bags since the day I got them and they've been great. Currently if you go out and looked at mine they fill the open gap between the bump stop and the perch. If I deflate them, jack up the rear 3 or 4 inches and inflate them there is a space between the bags and the bump stop. After a few miles of driving they slide or conform to fill the gap. If I were you I'd get the bump stops you need from the recall and go from there. Did you kit come with black hard plastic/urethane bumper thingies about 2.5 inches tall? Mine did and I didn't use them. If you want them, pay shipping and they are yours.

thanks mike, you have a PM waiting for you.

[img width=800 height=532]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/CYi5/4runner/DSC_0242.jpg[/img]

Crappy picture...but I did what others are suggesting, more to fit trim packers correctly, but ya, i got the stock bumps off another member and cut some of the pucks off.

The airbags fill up the whole area between coil bucket, rubber isolator, stock bump. I've never noticed any reduce in flex, i can still tuck like a champ.
    these are 890's, but they've sagged quite a bit and I will be switching to LC's next year without any worry about the bags.

1999 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 E-Locker: DR Coilovers ~ Camburg UCA's ~ OME 890+10mm ~ Icon Rear 2.5 Resi's ~ 235/85/16 Hankook Dynapro MT's ~ LC Rims

i just dont want to limit my articulation for the rear buy adding so much material in the springs that they act as a new, much longer bumpstop.
    My springs are stock and look a lot shorter than most I see on here and online. I have the portion of the bumpstop I was supposed to keep and the bag at 20 psi and have plenty of articulation. I was jumping my junk in pismo all day before I realized I had the bags in there full of air. They are really tough and have put up with me. Here are my landings.

[img width=800 height=531]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/DSC_0510.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=531]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/DSC_0509.jpg[/img]

They won't limit stuffing a wheel unless you have them aired up pretty firm. I would have mine between 10PSI and 30PSI on the street, and when I went wheeling, I would just pull the schraeder valve from the fill stem and let them "breathe".
    -andy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast