Thread: Time to replace the T-belt idler pulley?

Time to replace the T-belt idler pulley?

What do you all think?

And this fell out when I took the timing cover off. It fell down around the crank end of the timing belt, so I had to fish it out with one of those handy magnetic thingies.

I'm so glad I decided to check that bearing. I had suspicions about the pulley being on its way out....I guess it was.

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: Time to replace the T-belt idler pulley?

dang dan, stop breaking stuff!!!

so what is that piece that fell off, i dont recognize it as anything.... recognizable...

oh nevermind i figured it out. der...

yeah ill say it was time to replace it!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It's part of the "cage" for the bearings. Dan, did that freeze up on you or was it just making an awful noise and you knew it was time? That thing is toast!
    My signature

I dunno what it is called, but it holds the bearing balls in place I guess. It came out of the the top of bearing in the first pic. I dunno where the rest of the parts are. I guess they have been disintegrated.

Chris, I was on a trip to Charlotte (2.5 hours away) when I heard this terrible noise. I pulled over and checked everything out. I assumed it was a ps belt or something, cause the noise eventually went away. I drove the rest of the way to Charlotte and back. That was about 2 months ago. About two days ago, I had to drain the radiator and pull the plenum to fix a fuel leak, so I figured I'd take a look at the pulley. That's when I figured It's time to replace it. It's been running fine the past few months though.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    dang dan, stop breaking stuff!!!

I know!

I have to pull the plenum and/or timing belt cover off about once a year for some reason or another. I've got it down pat now. Within the past week, I've spent $300 for the idler pulley (88), intake hose (also 88), and a bunch of other hoses and gaskets. I figured I'll just replace a bunch of stuff while I'm at it. Still have the radiator to buy too.

Navigator

ouch... that sucks... good thing you caught it before it toasted anything else though... lol
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock