Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Tank Ideas

Air Tank Ideas

Ok was looking at the counties action site and i found a couple of these:

I have two of them and the idea is to tap them for an in inlet and outlet and use them as storage tanks for the yet to be installed on board air compressor i have.

Anyone ever done this with this type of tank?

I am thinking a hole, a tap, and a threaded nipple sealed accordingly. Don't think i have to worry about a pressure switch on them since they are rated for 4500 psi.

Ideas?
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Re: Air Tank Ideas

Are you thinking about drilling a hole in it? If so I think it'll fall apart. Those are fiberglass kevlar tanks right? I'd build a manifold off the existing hole. Search online, people do the same with fire extinguishers.

Cool that's what i was looking for.

I didn't know if you could drill into it, or if i could just run it all thru the same opening.

Want to try it out i have two?

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Don't touch the tank at all. As soon as you put a hole in it, it's done. You'll want to adapt to the existing metal fittings which looks like it'll be fairly easy.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Paint it blue and write NOS on it, then put it in a bracket in the back of the 4runner. Guaranteed horspower boost even if you just put air in it.
    My signature

That tank is really small, no volume. Sure you can fill it to 120-140 PSI but I doubt its gonna help much. Your better off filling it with CO2 off of another bottle (laying on thier side of course), then using it for air.

Navigator

ya, that wouldnt hold much... what is it like 1.5-2 gallons? you would basically be running off the compressor anyway... unless of course you can somehow fill it to its 4500 psi working limit with a crazy regulator to regulate the flow coming out, then it may be worth it... otherwise i agree with 4runnerchevy, it would be better off as a co2 tank
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I don't know if there's any difference between a CO2 tank and an air tank, but I know enough about pressure vessels to not even try interchanging the two. Don't even think about puting CO2 in there. Plus, I doubt you'd find any shop that would fill a tank marked "Air Only" with CO2.

It's value as a low pressure tank, plumbed into the on board air system increases if it's used for small jobs like keeping pressure to ARB lockers. It keeps the air compressors from coming on every 5 minutes if there is a small leak. Also, if you pressurize the tank prior to filling up the tires, then it'll save a couple minutes of tire filling.
    Steve

I agree with using a vessel for its designed purpose, but I doubt 800 PSI (max fill from a supplier) is gonna hurt a 4500 tank. The "air only" is so the tank doesn't get cross contaminated. A gas supplier would never fill it , but you could make a jumper hose (with HIGH PRESSURE FITTINGS) and fill off of another CO2 tank. Laying the tank down (CO2) would give you the liquid in the fill process.

Don't tap those tanks, adapt the fittings !

It's not the pressure I'm worried about, it's the liquid and the extremely low temperatures it brings combined with a fiber wrapped tank that worries me. The tank is basically made out of plastic and plastics don't do well when cold.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast