Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Tank Ideas

Re: Air Tank Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    It's not the pressure I'm worried about, it's the liquid and the extremely low temperatures it brings combined with a fiber wrapped tank that worries me. The tank is basically made out of plastic and plastics don't do well when cold.
    Could always ask the guy over at WabFab . . . iirc, he's a certified pressure vessel inspector, but I might be wrong about that
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

He is and I'm sure he'd say the same thing. He's very skiddish when it comes to pressure vessels as he doesn't even like using fire extinguishers as air tanks.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

If the tank says air only, it's air only. The fact that it's a composite tank might mean it can't put up with colder temperatures of vaporizing CO2, but in addition to that the internal intake might be incompatible with liquid gas, making it more likely to release liquid CO2 into your regulator or fill line.

As for using them as OBA tanks, well sure its possible (as long as you don't tap the tank, use the existing hardware) but it seems to me they would be much more useful in their intended role as high pressure tanks.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Navigator

i wonder how hard it would be to find someone willing to fill that tank to 4000psi... also, how hard it would be to find a regulator that could regulate 4000psi to a more usable 80-100 psi... lol...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    i wonder how hard it would be to find someone willing to fill that tank to 4000psi... also, how hard it would be to find a regulator that could regulate 4000psi to a more usable 80-100 psi... lol...
    Scuba shops

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    Yup, probably scuba shops. I <think> those might be small SCUBA tanks looking at them, but it's hard to say. No one would fill then without up-to-date hydro tests though.

Regulating would probably end up being a 2-stage setup like SCUBA uses, where the first stage regulates down to 10 Bar, and the second stage would regulate to what you're looking for.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Wow,
    Nothing like a good crazy project to get the juices flowing.

I'll probably do just like stated use the valving on them. I was just planning on using them as small tanks. Nothing i have would need that much volume anyway. Will probably use both now to get a little extra volume. The two will probably be the same size as the big red tank that i originally had set aside.

Thanks for all the good ideas and points.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

For the record I am not a pressure vessel inspector, I actually design pressure vessels (and a lot of other stuff) for an industrial fabricator per the ASME VIII Div 1 and 2 code.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12