Thread: how much is my 96 4runner worth?

how much is my 96 4runner worth?

im kinda getting the land cruiser bug and wondering what you all thought my truck would be worth if i sell it. im new to wheeling so i have no idea what pinstripes and bangs do to value.

what it is:
    '96 4runner V6 198k miles auto trans
    mods are in my signature
    here a quick video i had with a good view
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjnkJetq05s

things that detract from the value as a normal family truckster:
    -body is heavily pinstriped and has very mild body damage.
    -retread tires (id love to keep these so it might get what ever my new rig has)
    -auto locker in the rear
    -front anti sway is out but id put it back in before i try to sell it.

things that are highlights for another off roader:
    -4.88gears are new and bearing are timken
    -sliders are stubbs and not beat up yet
    -timing chain was replaced 30k ago
    -roof basket

i havnt been around wheeling long enough to know how bad the pinstripes and "off road only" type things ive done to it have taken from the value. going back to stock would not be great either because of the gearing. i also know its a terrible time to sell a vehicle like this but what do you all think its worth? 6-8? 4-5? shoot out what you honestly think.

Re: how much is my 96 4runner worth?

I'm probably off but I'd bet you'd likely get in the $4-5k range for it. I'm being honest here and keep in mind that the right person (offroader) might pay more but fair market value to the general public is what I'm giving you here. Also keep in mind the economy still stinks and the value of the 4runner will continue to go down as gas prices go up this summer and well into next year.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

i was afraid it might not be worth much and will be a hard sale even at a fair price im sure due to the economy. guess ill shop fj80's and pull the trigger if theres something i cant pass up. shoppings half the fun anyhow

whats so much better about an 80 series?

my goal for my vehicle is a "mini 80". basically a well equipped, but smaller 80 series land cruiser built for expedition use. i dont see the need to trade in a perfectly good vehicle for something that will get worse gas mileage and is quite a bit bigger.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I have a coworker in Portland that wants a 3rd gen. He was looking for a 4cyl, but if you'd like I can tell him about yours. I know Victorville is a long way away, but I don't mind offering for you.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Small_words
    I have a coworker in Portland that wants a 3rd gen. He was looking for a 4cyl, but if you'd like I can tell him about yours. I know Victorville is a long way away, but I don't mind offering for you.
    thank you but i think ive just about wised up. i got a little wrapped up in the solid axle hype. after some intense reading...my expectations of an mildly modified fj80 going drastically different places then a 4runner were a bit far fetched. its wide and heavy vs the sased 1st gen 4runners that my friends use at the hammers and i dont think i can afford larger tires then 33". also if you guys dont know by now... im a cheap bastard and the thought of tossing 3500 away when i sell the runner finally sunk in lol. not to mention staring at a 10k fj that someone didnt want anymore.

i wish i didnt need something that i can sleep in, but after sleeping in the runner im too spoiled for tents and too cheap for campers lol

biggest thing is a 750 dollar arb locker and some money for the ocassional broken cv really narrows the gap in capability between a 3rd gen and fj80 seeing as im already geared.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    Quote Originally Posted by Small_words
    thank you but i think ive just about wised up. i got a little wrapped up in the solid axle hype. after some intense reading...my expectations of an mildly modified fj80 going drastically different places then a 4runner were a bit far fetched. its wide and heavy vs the sased 1st gen 4runners that my friends use at the hammers and i dont think i can afford larger tires then 33". also if you guys dont know by now... im a cheap bastard and the thought of tossing 3500 away when i sell the runner finally sunk in lol. not to mention staring at a 10k fj that someone didnt want anymore.

i wish i didnt need something that i can sleep in, but after sleeping in the runner im too spoiled for tents and too cheap for campers lol

biggest thing is a 750 dollar arb locker and some money for the ocassional broken cv really narrows the gap in capability between a 3rd gen and fj80 seeing as im already geared.

I agree! Very well thought out, imo
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k