Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to paint the whole truck professionally?

How much to paint the whole truck professionally?

K so, I've been pretty busy with working on my 4runner. Got rims put on a week ago and i've been in the process of dechroming my entire truck. Just got finished with the stock rear bumper. but now i've been looking into getting it painted. The oxidation on my truck is making me wanna have an aneurysm. Anyone know a good price ( with out doing it themselves ) of getting a 92 4runner painted professionally back to the stock gray color minus the stock stripes? im not looking to pay anything more than 1500-2500.

[Edit - Good Times - Clarified thread title]
    1992 Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0 V6 5 Speed - It's Modified.

Re: Price quoutes?

You may be able to visit some local reputable body shops and see what they will charge you to spray it. Tell them you can do the prep work, and just have one of their folks spray the paint.

I know some people at a local bodyshop that said they would spray mine for $500 if I do the prep work. That was a couple coats of metalic paint and clear coat....non of that single stage stuff that maaco uses.

I still haven't had mine painted though.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Im going driving around to 5-6 local shops around here to see what they would quote me. prep work is sanding and what not, correct?

Yep, prep work would be sanding, cleaning, fixing dents, and taping off what you don't want painted (wheel, windows, etc).

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I'll be doing all of that except the sanding part. dents are in the shop being removed as we speak. how much ya think that'll run me doing all of it except sanding?

Re: How much to paint the whole truck professionally?

A good job, where they paint the entire truck including door jambs and the crevices as best as possible will run you min 2k in most areas of the country. Maaco sucks period! A real shop will put on 2-3 layers primer, 2-6 coats of paint and 3-4 layers of clear. It depends on how much you pay, but the more coats the better-thicker the clear is the less it will scratch easy. The biggest cost is the prep and work in between coats with the sanding.

I had the vette done, thats special paint no less (has to be epoxy based b/c of the fiberglass body) and it cost 4k and thats them cutting me a deal cause I know them.

Had the same shop do my camry, basically blend the front into the rest b/c it needed a fender and bumper from an accident. Paint was 1500 due to prep and labor and such.

It all depends on the shop and if they will work with you or not. But I always say, pay once, cry once. Not worth doing it cheaply if you get a crap job.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Im not getting door jams, engine bay... etc etc. none of that done. Im wanting the same base/stock color the truck came, the stock factory gray. Minus the stripes. im getting dents removed also. I already know im staying away from maaco, i've heard way to many bad things about them. Im gonna run around to a couple local shops and see what I can negotiate. If you were getting a 2nd gen 4runner painted how much would you pay?
    1992 Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0 V6 5 Speed - It&#39;s Modified.

Well I wouldnt pay more than 3k tbh for a really good job.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

yeah, im looking to pay about 1500-2500 tops. Im going driving around today to all the local shops, see what prices are. when i get back, i'll post some prices and get yours guys' opinions
    1992 Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0 V6 5 Speed - It&#39;s Modified.

Can you post some pics of how bad the oxidation is? A good detailing my help quite a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast