Thread: MF1050 into vacuum pump?

MF1050 into vacuum pump?

ok so im planning this expedition of mine, and im quickly realizing that it would be WONDERFUL to be able to vac down alot of the stuff with space saver bags.

now, can i turn my MF1050 air compressor into a vacuum pump? i know theres some people who are intimately familiar with this compressor, so i was just wondering if it was possible to pull a continuous vacuum with this compressor, or if the valve design prohibits this. not looking to pull several hundred mmHg, just looking to suck some air out of a bag.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: MF1050 into vacuum pump?

I think you'd be better off with a non-positive displacement pump, like a vacuum cleaner, not a positive displacement pump, like an air compressor. Possible? Sure. Practical? No way.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
    I think you'd be better off with a non-positive displacement pump, like a vacuum cleaner, not a positive displacement pump, like an air compressor. Possible? Sure. Practical? No way.
    I agree with L33. Get one of those electric air mattress blowers that you can also use the intake side for deflation. All you is need high flow, low pressure to get the job done.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

oh i have an air mattress pump that also sucks (both air and at pumping and sucking air, if you know what i mean), but it doesnt really pull the kind of air i need to pull.

i went ahead and did the mods to my pump last night, finished too late to try em out though. based on the reed designs, im not so sure it will work as a great vac pump, but well see.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Looks like the harbor freight bags just use a shop vac. They also have a small electric vacuum pump that you might be able to adapt.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95613
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96677

Ziplock has a hand vacuum pump that you might be able to use.
    http://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-Zip.../dp/B001DRNESE
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

going off this idea, we were playing in the mud and jeeper hydrolocked it. well the intake manifold filled with water, i had some tubing and turn my compressor into a make shift water pump/vacuum and got all the water out. it worked we got it running again. It worked just fine but probably was not the greatest idea. i took it apart and cleaned it real good.

So in theory using it to vacuum out air from a bag would work it would be slow and impractical however.

Ok so something my mom had me do before they went on vacation:

drive on to ziplock bags with clothes, seal shut. perfect!
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

I see no reason wh it won't work, the intake is threaded for the filter unit and it would be easy to attack an adaptor to suck out those bags....the reeds shouldn't be affected at all.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!