Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's M-762 Trailer Buildup

Seanz0rz's M-762 Trailer Buildup

why you should never give me 500 dollars:

i go and i buy stuff like this:

scored it for 500, now i have to battle the DMV to register it, but that's fun for later.

its a '67 M762 3/4 ton flat bed trailer.

the good:

looks relatively unmolested, besides the cage on top (staying for now)

tracked very well on the drive home, didnt clang around nearly as much as i thought it would. im extremely pleased!

the bad:

tires are crap:

one of the shocks is missing a bushing, and parking brakes disconnected:

some less than clean welds, but im not worried. it will be a great trailer with some small, relatively inexpensive upgrades. then after my summer trip i can start pouring money into the blender.

few questions for those in the know:

tires need to be replaced, with what? dont have alot of money to spend on new hubs/axles/tires/wheels. if i could find mil spec replacement tires, that would be ok for now, then i can sell them at a later date when i do upgrade to 6 lug hubs and matching wheels and tires.

registering the thing. doesnt have a title or registration. just apply for a new title? i have my bill of sale and the previous owner's bill of sale.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: why you should never give me 500 dollars:

Wow, I have no advice, other than those tires look better than my trailer tires.

I'm glad you got the thing!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

lol I can't believe you picked that up!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

looks Good Sean.
    The shocks on that thing look familiar...

I would of taken that money and went out and got myself a hooker
    "Your love for me is founded in a sentiment. My love for you is founded in the body. A precarious interchange." - Mason Cooley

Quote Originally Posted by Dramarama
    I would of taken that money and went out and got myself a hooker
    why do i need to buy one when i have you for free though? hehe! hope youre doing well btw!

shocks are the same as a CJ3 and are readily available. im not too concerned about the shocks though, but i will fix that lower bushing. tires, having a hard time. i just need SOME kind of tires..., anything really. lol.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

IMO idk exactly what kind of tires but I think you should get some tall all terrains, that should suit it well..

At first thought, I was thinking throw some 1/4" plate all around and make a lid to keep everything weather tight..

Other then that it looks like a kool find !!

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Sean, nice! Those are the exact same frame as the M416. Most were used to haul welders and such. You should be fine with the bill of sale from the owner, as that's all I had. Also, just register it as a homemade trailer as that will be easier than registering it as a military trailer. It will have to be inspected, so know the weight, and make sure the lights work. Its weight is low enough that you aren't required to have brakes on it, so that is good.

For tires, hit up the local tire shops for takeoffs and hopefully you can find something. I did, mine ended up being brand new bling tires that I got for a song, because someone ordered them and never came in to get them. I paid cash and I'm sure the tire shop wrote them off as a loss. Anyways, they are a weird size but not too weird, so you might get lucky and get something that was taken off someones trailer or truck. It would be better to get some civilian tires because the stock military tires aren't rated for much over 55mph.

Also, I have some brand new military tires (they look more like all terrains though) that are in good enough shape to use as a spare. Some still have the stickers on them, but they sat outside for awhile and are sun cracked, but would work for a spare. Anyways, if you want one, to use as a spare, then I've got one for you for free(you'll have to find a rim for it though). I may even be able to find you a rim for it for free as well.

The other option is to find two jeep rims and tires. The bolt pattern is the same as a lot of jeeps. I know someone who might have two jeep rims and tires. cough/Lance/cough
    My signature

thanks chris. i have 4 265/70r16 (or 265/75r16, cant remember). they are currently mounted on 8 bolt super duty wheels. they have enough tread on them to be fine for a trailer for now. so i guess i just need to find some wheels! i wish i could just afford to swap the hubs and axle to a 6 bolt setup. anyone know a less expensive way to do this?

I've got a set of hub adapters that will change it to a 6 bolt. I don't think I'm going to use them. I was going to put on some toy rims, but have decided that since mine will be towed by multiple vehicles with different sized rims/tire sizes, that I just decided to stick with the stock rims and the trailer will always carry its own spare.

Here are some pics of them. They are brand new, the guy I bought them from, was going to use them on his bronco but then decided to go another direction. I don't remember how much I paid for them, let me know if you're interested.

My signature

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast