Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's M-762 Trailer Buildup

Re: why you should never give me 500 dollars:

That's what I was thinking it was for but wasn't sure. Looks like a good place to mount a spare. Put the spare between that and the flatbed. Edit: I see Dan had the same thought as me.

No worries, just let me know on the adapters. I'll probably throw them up on pirate if you don't want them. I was totally going to use them so that the 4runner and trailer would be running the same size wheels and tires, but it ended up not making much sense due to me pulling it alot with the tacoma (it will be along time-never before it will see 33's) and the van will tow it once I get a hitch on it. That and the fact that I got such a great deal on the tires I have on it now and they will never wear out.
    My signature

yeah ill likely toss my spare up there since i cant use my hitch mounted tire carrier when i tow (nor would i want to, but it will be coming with me)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, I just went through my box o crap. I have 3 shock bushings and a shock that I kept. I doubt the shock is much good especially since it needs 4 bushings and I only have 3, but if you want the bushings, I can toss them in an envelope and send them to you. That way you won't have to worry about getting shocks for your trip. Won't cost you a thing.

My signature

I still have front and rear 2000 stock shocks from my 4Runner if those would help out, not sure what you are looking for.

nah the rear shocks are way too short to be using 4runner shocks and the wrong connections. i dont think ill replace the shocks if they are worn, only if they are bent and refuse to allow the suspension any travel.

ill be doing a BUNCH of work on it this weekend, and ill probably start a separate buildup thread.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

worked on the damn thing all afternoon/evening yesterday and for about 12 hours today.

heres the list in no particular order:
    removed original chains (much too short, barely longer than the lunette)
    new LED lights purchased, most of wiring run, awaiting newly fabbed brackets (that havent been fabbed yet)
    lunette mount for extra high vehicles removed to facilitate spare tire for my vehicle and a future storage box.
    random brackets welded to left fender removed.
    lunette removed, mounting hole cleaned of paint and rust and polished, packed with grease, reinstalled with proper spring tension.
    new tires purchased and installed
    chopped cage to hold ice chest on rear of trailer.
    hitch for pintel hook nearly finished (a few more welds, 5 half inch holes need to be drilled, hardware needs to be purchased)

stuff to do:
    build mounts for new lights, finish wiring lights
    finish hitch
    finish grinding down old, nasty welds
    reweld cross bar on cage
    install new chains
    paint all bare metal (might end up looking a little "dirty snow" camo!)

i cant upload pictures right now, ill get to it tomorrow sometimes. stay tuned for updates.

ok so here are the pics!

new tires:

not exactly the best in the world, but the price and timing was right.

a picture of me working on greasing up all the zerks we could find (finally a picture of me actually working on something, usually im the one taking pictures):

the drums and hubs are in pretty good condition and spin freely:

there were some sharp screws in the frame rail that we couldnt get out, so to run the wire down we put it inside a 1/2" PVC conduit. the lead to the truck is wrapped in split loom to keep chaffing to a minimum on the wires:

previous owner had welded on some angle iron to the fenders. they were sharp and in the way, so off they came. did my best to save the fenders, i think i did a good job on that:

this part i was hesitant to cut off, but it just didnt serve a purpose for us and was in the way:

next was to make a hitch. the one that came with the trailer was in pretty bad shape, very thin, and i felt inadequate. i set about making a bigger one from a piece of 2x2x1/4 tubing, and a few pieces of quarter inch plate.

first plate welded to the tube:

second plate being cut out to fit around the tube and welds:

the two plates are now welded (sorry no pictures till next weekend) around the edges and almost done welding it to the tube. it should be super strong, much better than the last one.

new lights will go here:

and this bar, previously on the top, will go here:

since we cut the rear section of the cage off to accommodate the ice chest.

also want to share a new tool with you guys. this christmas my parents bought me a long reach jack (my frame is at least 2 feet off the ground. this has 31 inches of reach. we also purchased a spreader bar, great for keeping everything level and from falling down on you, also helps to spread out the load a bit.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Good job with the build-up , definately keeping an eye on this . . . . have you given thought to a pinned/removable frame on top of the flatbed? Removable and designed just like a hitch/receiver but with smaller size square tube. That would give you different configs for different "missions" that could be swapped out easily (camping, enclosed storage/chuck wagon, hauling, etc)

It's almost like a game of Where's Waldo trying to spot the Dr P, but it's always there somewhere
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    It's almost like a game of Where's Waldo trying to spot the Dr P, but it's always there somewhere
    HAHAHA. and i dont even try! but if you look at the ONE picture of me, its in the upper left. sorry for the spoilers!

yes. right now the rack is staying as is (besides being chopped a bit). in the future i hope to build a box for the trailer that can be lifted off. thats a bit down the line. everything im doing right now is in preparation for our trip. less than 3weeks. i have a total of 9 work days left to work on this and get everything else ready.

Re: Seanz0rz's M-762 Trailer Buildup

changed the thread title for easier searching later on.

also, ill do a thread on my hitch build in the fab forum, ive had a couple of people ask me about it (not on this site).

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast