Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Card Assistance

Re: Graphics Card Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    As for windows 7 or vista, no just plain no. XP is finally fully stable and of course M$ needs something new.
    XP being "fully stable" doesn't make it the only choice. I'm telling you, Windows 7 is very cool; it multitasks better, supports better hardware, has a more customizable interface, what's not to like?

I more than anything like the built-in stuff that I would normally have to install another program to accomplish with XP, like burning data DVDs, burning ISO files, playing all of my video files including AVCHD, etc...

The 64-bit version is a little tough to get around sometimes with driver support being what it is for 64-bit Vista right now, but I've been able to find drivers for everything, and taking advantage of more than 3gb of ram is a must. I'm planning to upgrade to 8gb of ram in the not-too-distant future since it's so cheap these days.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Well anyway, back on topic!

That PCI graphics card you found should be fine, and remember for the future that you can buy a very capable computer that will be lightyears ahead of what you've got for around $400.
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

No worries on the box build talk. I learned a lot about the latest trends. I have no room in the budget for a new computer, but maybe by the end of the summer.

I had to down grade to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130188 Should be here end of this week, first of next. My power supply wasn't big enough for the first one I posted.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox

XP being "fully stable" doesn't make it the only choice. I'm telling you, Windows 7 is very cool; it multitasks better, supports better hardware, has a more customizable interface, what's not to like?

I more than anything like the built-in stuff that I would normally have to install another program to accomplish with XP, like burning data DVDs, burning ISO files, playing all of my video files including AVCHD, etc...

The 64-bit version is a little tough to get around sometimes with driver support being what it is for 64-bit Vista right now, but I've been able to find drivers for everything, and taking advantage of more than 3gb of ram is a must. I'm planning to upgrade to 8gb of ram in the not-too-distant future since it's so cheap these days.
    All good points, someone who does the things you do needs the memory, the latest software, etc.

I had an awesome PC about 2 years ago before everything jumped lightyears in a matter of months. Shame the CPU fried (i think, not sure but i hate prescott cores)and now it even refuses to turn on so its junk as its part are worth nothing. Good deal tho, I got it thru an intel biz program, XP, the super $$$ mobo and the cpu for like 250 bucks

Anyways back on topic, in due time will we all need to upgrade. But ill wait it out. I like XP simply b/c I am more than the avg user and just tweak everything I want, I also like my apps and not built in windows junk too. Lean and mean running, I barely have anything installed.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

On the topic of budget PC's, MaximumPC did a very good article on how to "Build a Kick-Ass Gaming PC for $500."

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...y_crysis_40fps

The hardware they list is pretty good, they give a step-by-step on how to put it together, and you've got yourself a powerful computer for around $500 which is nothing to sneeze at. For what it's worth, the article was made in April, so you may be able to find some better hardware for a similar price point now. Install Windows 7 for free, and you're done until you need to buy your OS for real next summer.
    Brian

Okay the card is here.

Now I need some help installing it...

I read the instructions and went to the device manager and disabled the original graphics card and turned off the computer. I then installed the new card and inserted the CD and rebooted. I loaded the driver, but it's not working.

To see my computer I have to connect the monitor to the old card with the original 15pin connector (can't remember what it's called)

I then got on the old slow laptop to see what I missed. Am I really supposed to UNINSTALL the original graphics card driver before I install the new card? If I do that and it doesn't work for some reason, THEN when do I do?

I've back tracked and uninstalled the new card and enabled the old one to log on and get some help.

Thanks guys,

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Install new card, then make sure it works then disable the old one.

Finally got it!

I was about to pull my hair out! I had to call EVGA and they told me I had to go into my BIOS. A quick check on the backup laptop and I found out how to get in (TAB DELETE). Then I had to change the video preference from VGA to DVI and that was I'll it took.

Thanks for all your help! We have wide screen, high res wonderfulness now.

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Ya know it completely slipped my mind, if you haveonboard you gotta shut it off int he bios and turn on pci..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Ya know it completely slipped my mind, if you haveonboard you gotta shut it off int he bios and turn on pci..lol.
    Lol, now you tell me! I was getting pretty pissed at the whole thing last night, so the wife wanting to get involved, but refusing to follow my lead created a extra level of tension. Tonight, I still find myself sleeping with the dog, and he keeps stealing the covers!

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast