Thread: 99 4runner Build

99 4runner Build

Alright so the idea here is not to build a hardcore off road rig. My plan is to build something very similar to what I use to have (will post pics below). This will be my DD/weekend wheeler-camping rig.

Day I brought it home

After I took off the running boards

Weathertech floor liners installed

285/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's arrived

I had originally ordered Sway-A-Way 2.0 Coilovers for my front lift but after talking to wheelers offroad I was informed that order would be out of stock for 3 weeks. I wasn't willing to wait that long so I upgraded to Camburg Coilovers that should be arriving thursday 6/18/09. For my rear lift I ordered Old Man Emu 891 Coils and Old Man Emu N86C Comfort shocks. The lift will be installed this friday along with the MTZ's so I'll be updating pics as soon as it's all on.

When it's all said and done It will look a lot like this give or take a few things. Pics of my old rig:

Re: 99 4runner Build

Well the coilovers finally showed up so as soon as I got off work I went strait to the install. Took me a little under 4 hours to do the whole lift by my self (that includes adjusting the front coilovers to the correct ride hight). Anyway I'm very pleased with the outcome and look forward to getting some sliders and building bumpers.

Lift is on

Old tires off new tires getting balanced

Looks good. How is the clearance between the A-arms and the tires with those stock rims?
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

It looks like you trimmed the front mud guards. I'm planning on doing this becuase they drag over the rocks. I've got sliders so the mud control is taken care of but I'm not sure about cutting.

What did you use to make the cut? I was wondering if the plastic is brittle and hard to make a clean cut. Mine have been pretty flexible but didn't want to ruin them by taking the body saw to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
    Looks good. How is the clearance between the A-arms and the tires with those stock rims?
    The clearence is good it's basically the same as my LX450 wheels were because of the 1/4" spacers that are on there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    It looks like you trimmed the front mud guards. I'm planning on doing this becuase they drag over the rocks. I've got sliders so the mud control is taken care of but I'm not sure about cutting.

What did you use to make the cut? I was wondering if the plastic is brittle and hard to make a clean cut. Mine have been pretty flexible but didn't want to ruin them by taking the body saw to it.
    I used a 4" cutting wheel on my grinder and marked my line with some tape. The cut is easy to make strait but leaves some fragments behind so I took a little sandpaper to it and it looks just about like stock.

What kind of bumpers are those on your previous rig? The front one especially is siiiick

Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Front bumper main design was from bentup for the tacoma but the tacoma front ends are wider and the mounting brackets aren't the same so I had to do about 10hrs of fab work to bring the ends of the bumper in and building mounting brackes.

The rear bumper I built from scratch (it's a BruceTS nockoff)