Thread: Problem Solving Help/Logistical Trucking Question

Problem Solving Help/Logistical Trucking Question

Gents,

Say a guy had 5 trees in Montana that were 75 feet long, at least 3 feet in diameter on the stump end, freshly cut so pretty heavy, not sure on actual weight.

Say that same guy wanted those trees in Fort Collins, Colorado. Only problem is, he needs them to still be 75 feet.

A normal tractor trailer is 55 long, so I assume we're going to have to permit for over length? It is all interstate, so that should make it easier?

How would you do this? I can get the trees, just struggling to get them to me.

Thanks.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Re: Problem Solving Help/Logistical Trucking Question

Go straight to the professionals and see what they say, take a trip to the local truck stop and start asking around?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Your gonna need a special trailer or it will be oversize sticking off the trailer. Probably those truck dollies they use if anything.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Talked to Pop's

He said it is going to depend on the states over limit laws.

In California you can go 2/3 of the wheel base. Nevada is 10 feet period, and Arizona is 6 ft.

Also you will probably only get 2 or 3 tree's a load. 80k gross limit unless you are running 3 axle set up which might get you 110k.

A stretch tractor (270 wheel base) and 53' trailer in California it would be easy. 11 foot overhang each end.

A couple places that specialize in this are :

http://www.sbht.com/ Sherman Bros Heavy Trucking

http://www.combinedtransport.com/ Combined Trucking

If you get a couple quotes Pop's said he'll look over them to let you know whats what.

He also said the Piggy Bank is going squeal on this one.

Also what happened to all the trees in Colorado??

Oh and Pop's didn't stay in a Holiday Inn express last night, he actually drive truck here in the Bay area, and use to do some long distance stuff for Swift.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Thanks Reggie.

I will not go to a truck stop and start asking random people about getting wood, that is a recipe for a social disease.

There are no trees long enough and with adequate diameter to accomplish this project. We are a high desert climate and grow primarily 2-3 pine species and doug fir. Any tree this large in Colorado would be impossibly expensive because it would be in high demand as merchantable timber.

2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

I'll tell him.

I just shrugged and said "i dont know, he must have a reason"
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

My bro-in-law works for http://www.pioneer-loghomes.com/ They deal with some big logs, I can shoot him an email and see what he says.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

I will not go to a truck stop and start asking random people about getting wood, that is a recipe for a social disease.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Honestly you can probably get them moved using dollies like they use for houses. Or maybe a lowboy might be long enough.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX