Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any authentic mexican food recipes?

Any authentic mexican food recipes?

Ever since going to cancun and eating real mexican food (like from the sketchy little taco carts the locals eat at) I've been trying to find good hole-in-the-wall restaurants and mexican recipes. Anybody know any good recipes, books or websites?

I just did a quick "mexican recipe" google search and found some, but they appear to be americanized. One even called for soy sauce and I'm pretty sure they don't use soy sauce at those little taco carts. I'm thinking I need to brush up on my spanish and browse the mexican side of the internet.

Oh, and the reason this isn't in the cooking section of the forum is because this isn't for outdoor/camping cooking.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Any authentic mexican food recipes?

It's hard to beat real mexican food. I had some great food while staying in a few towns southeast of Mexico City last year. I don't remember what they called it, but my favorite was some sort of chicken enchilada with green salsa and goat cheese. That's where I learned the phrase, "Uno mas, por favor". I had about eight of those.

I also tried a taco from one of those road side taco stands. Turns out it was made from a cow's spinal tissue. Wasn't very good.

Closest thing they have to real Mexican food around here is a place called Mi Casitas, but I think that is just a local chain.

Sorry I'm not much more help.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Sounds like you need to find a good Mexican Market. I'm sure they have them there. If you can find one that also has a little butcher shop in it, they usually serve food as well. Brush up on your espanol prior to going, or take a friend who is fluent.

There was one in Oceanside that I used to go to, when I would go with my mexican friend who was fluent and would chat up the people, it was the best I've ever had. The times I went alone, it was so so.
    My signature

This is why I love living 10 miles from the Mexican Border. There's probably a dozen 24/7 authentic taco shops in within two miles radius of my house. I dunno what I'd do if I ever moved away... go to Jack in the Box or Denny's after a long night of drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by strykersd
    go to Jack in the Box orIHOP after a long night of drinking?

Fixed it
    1. Jack in the box is the ish after drinking.
    2. Dennys sucks IHOP rules

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Sounds like you need to find a good Mexican Market. I'm sure they have them there. If you can find one that also has a little butcher shop in it, they usually serve food as well. Brush up on your espanol prior to going, or take a friend who is fluent.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing, but they're all in the sketchy parts of town so I haven't worked up the courage to go yet. Back in the bay area we used to go to a little market that had the best mexican food ever. The problem with the phx area is it's wall to wall strip malls. Every corner has a target, ross, home depot, etc.
    Steve

looks like you need to find an authentic mexican wife, lol. problem solved.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

I know what you mean, I would have never gone to that one, had I not been taken there.

You have a gardner? Take him to lunch sometime.
    My signature

Well, I have an authentic japanese wife so I have that base covered. I don't think I can afford another wife.

A gardener!?!?! What, do you think I'm as rich as Bob or something? Pfff, we don't even have cable TV. (Ok, we're cheap).

Steve

I thought I was gonna find a real recipe for something, but instead I found this . Geez!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast