Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Computer Build

Re: New Computer Build

I should mention also, you're going to need a lot more than 120GB if you plan to do picture and especially video editing. Plan to have a 1-2TB drive to use for mass storage, and the SSD will be the boot/software drive.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    I should mention also, you're going to need a lot more than 120GB if you plan to do picture and especially video editing. Plan to have a 1-2TB drive to use for mass storage, and the SSD will be the boot/software drive.
    x2 with any kind of editing/authoring you can never have too much storage
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Yeah that was my plan,
    I am doing a little research into good fast HDD
    I will probably have 2TB internally and I am still looking for a decent 1TB for and external one to use between my desktop and laptop or if I work on anyone else's pc and need to back up there stuff

So, I looked at the boxes of stuff that stepdad got for his pc a little more today.
    (he has yet to clean up his mess in the kitchen from the build)

Motherboard - ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
    Processor - INTEL CORE i7
    Graphics Card - ASUS Matrix GTX580
    HDD - Vertex 3 2.5" SSD
    RAM - VengeanceLP DDR3 16GB
    Case - Cooler Master HAF
    Power Supply - Corsair AXI200
    CPU cooler - Ninja3 CPU Cooler
    Disk Drive - I/O Magic DVD +/- R/RW

Thoughts?

ALrighty lets break down the build, looks like the total was about $2k not including some stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Motherboard - ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
    That's a seriously pricey mobo at $334 from Newegg. If we're considering this a "pseudo-budget" build, I think there are mobos with better bang-for-your-buck...

Processor - INTEL CORE i7
    Since it's a Sandy Bridge mobo (LGA 1155) I'm going to assume he got the Core i7-2600K. Good choice in processor for about $315 and super fast.

Graphics Card - ASUS Matrix GTX580
    Way bad-ass graphics card, but seriously WAY overpowered unless you're a pretty hardcore gamer (is he?)... And about as expensive as they get at $530. For photo and video editing, this is seriously over the top giant overkill. It's probably one of the most powerful gaming video cards out there...

HDD - Vertex 3 2.5" SSD
    You don't mention size, but if we assume its a 120GB its a very fast choice for a boot drive and photo/video editing machine. Probably one of the fastest drives out there, and not over-the-top expensive (but you will pay for it at about $240).

RAM - VengeanceLP DDR3 16GB
    You don't mention speed, but you can get 16GB of DDR 3 1600 RAM for around $105, so why not! Probably too much RAM, but it's so cheap who cares...

Case - Cooler Master HAF
    This could be a case that costs anywhere from $60 - $160, but you can get a pretty nice case for about $100. I would go screwless with plenty of fan mounts.

Power Supply - Corsair AXI200
    Corsair AX1200 is a huge honkin power supply, and way more than needed for the hardware listed. It's expensive at $279, and you only need somewhere around an 800W PSU in my opinion.

CPU cooler - Ninja3 CPU Cooler
    Nice CPU fan, and not too pricey at $50. It requires a big case to fit it though.

Disk Drive - I/O Magic DVD +/- R/RW
    Meh it's a DVD burner for about $50.

Thoughts?
    Where to start... You don't mention keyboard, mouse, or monitor, but you're looking at about a $2000 PC without those things which can be a pretty strong powerhouse in most anything (with monitor, Windows, and peripherals figure $2700), but is actually geared towards gaming especially with the graphics card. I think you could build a PC that would keep up in video and photo editing for about $800 less... I'll build my recommendations for Intel and AMD boxes and post soon.

Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Ok here's my recommended Intel box:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600k - $315 and super fast!
    Mobo: EVGA P67 SLI - $200 and pretty nice with SATA 6Gb, USB 3.0, on-board audio, etc.
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) - $105
    CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus - $30 and excellent air cooler
    Graphics Card: ZOTAC AMP! ZT-50402-10L GeForce GTX 550 Ti - $150 and way more than you'll need
    Primary Drive: Vertex 3 120GB - $240 and the fastest SSD drive out there
    Second Drive: Samsung F4 Ecogreen 2TB - Lot's o' storage and $80
    Optical Drive: ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA - $90 and a Blu-ray burner for HD authoring!
    Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 - $90 and seems nice.
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-875M 875W - $170, this would be plenty.

Total box: $1450, not including monitor(s), mouse/keyboard, Windows
    Brian

Well if you use all the same hardware but an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (3.7 GHz) and a Gigabyte Mobo for AMD, figure about $200 cheaper.

You can go cheaper from there by getting for example a somewhat cheaper SSD, save some money on the case, power supply, etc. You'll have to decide on your budget but I think you can build a pretty good AMD box for around $800-$1000, and a very good Intel box with 2600k for about $1300.
    Brian

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234