Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Computer Build

Re: New Computer Build

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    bu-rays are what, 50gb each?
    Dual layer ones are, but they're about $10/disc right now. Single layer ones are 25GB, and only about $1.00/disc.

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    personally i'd rather pay more for ddr3 ram and have a quad core processor

Just a matter of opinion, but to me building a pc is to do 2 things:

1) guarantee the parts are good
    2) get the most performance for the money

I'm not sure you're doing the latter. For what is in the end not so much more money, you could have more processor threads available in addition to faster ram.
    When I built the machine DDR3 ram was significantly more expensive (around triple), plus I would have had to get a Core i7 processor (more expensive), and Core i7 mobo (more expensive). All of that is more reasonable now, but at the time it would have been more than twice as much. In case you missed it, I built this box in Jun 2009 I ended spending about $800, which is not too shabby for what this thing can do.

Anyway, looking like a nice build so far man, hope she turns out good! More pics of the box itself are needed!
    This it is where it sits right now, it's our media machine and my gaming machine.

[img width=597 height=800]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/Mobile%20Uploads/cbc34fc9.jpg[/img]
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

personally i'd rather pay more ... and have a quad core processor

For what is in the end not so much more money, you could have more processor threads available in addition to faster ram.
    P.S.- The processor is quad core... It's a Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition (quad core, 3.0 GHz, etc.)
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

oh cool, sorry I missed the date of the original build. Makes much more sense now!
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

I missed it as well! lol

Reading this thread gives me flashbacks to the old college days of gaming and building your own monster towers.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Navigator

haha... been doing that since Junior High, with my old Athlon XP 1700+ (1.5ghz) OC'd to 2.2GHz stable! hahaha
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

So I decided to upgrade my CPU heatsink so I could overclock and run cooler at 100% load. I went with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, a monster of a heatsink that&#39;s rated a perfect 10 by MaximumPC and only costs $30

Comparison of the stock and new heatsinks. I&#39;m running the Hyper 212 with 2 120mm fans in a push-pull configuration, exhausting out the back of my case.
    [img width=800 height=597]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/IMG_20100827_115205.jpg[/img]

The new heatsink is a bit bigger than the old one. I&#39;m glad I have a full tower case because it barely fit!

Old:

New:
    [img width=597 height=800]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/IMG_20100827_122248.jpg[/img]

I&#39;m now running at 3.5GHz and still cooler than stock. I tried 3.6GHz but got a BSOD when I did the CPU stress test for a few minutes; I might be able to get it working at that frequency later with some tweaking of the CPU voltage. For right now, my temperatures are about 27-30C at idle, and 37-40C at 100% load; not too shabby for air cooling
    Brian

holy crap

looks good!
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Thanks! For comparison, with the stock cooler I was hitting about 65c at full load. So now I'm running 20-25 degrees cooler, and that's with a 500MHz overclock! I'm convinced I could hit 3.8 GHz with some tweaking, this thing is wicked!
    Brian

Navigator

holy crap that heat sink is freaking huge! i have the same heat sink as ur old one (which is pretty good for a stock one) and i know its not all that small... i dont think my mid-tower could take that monster though >.<
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast