Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Computer Build

Re: New Computer Build

I've been re-encoding an entire queue of videos for my Droid for the last 4 hours. The CPU utilization has been 100% the entire time, and my CPU temp is sitting steady at 45C. Sweet!!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Another update...

So I've started to collect enough data that needs to be saved that I decided to buy a second Samsung 1 TB drive and set it up with the other in a Raid 1 (mirrored) array. Got the drive and plugged it in, but couldn't set up the drive for the life of me in Windows 7. I suspect the problem is that if I turn on SATA RAID on the mobo, all SATA ports are changed to RAID mode (and my Blu-Ray drive is SATA too). So I got a cheapy PCI-Express SATA RAID controller to set up the array:

Syba SY-PEX40013 PCI Express SATA II 4x Ports RAID Controller Card

SO, thinking my problems are fixed, I shut down the computer and plug in the card with the two drives... but then something weird happened- the computer wouldn't turn on again! A little blip of the fans and stuff when the power button was pressed, but no post and no boot

So it turns out that was the last straw and my power supply finally gave up the ghost. I suspected it might have been going bad for a while, some of my case fans had been running slower than normal, my overclock on my CPU had stopped working, and BIOS was randomly resetting (all symptoms of drooping voltages). To fix the problem, I just bought myself a sweet new Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W Power Supply. Lots of power, and it's a modular power supply which means I only use the power cables I need. I'll take pictures when I install it.

Pic for you picture whores:
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Nice. I want to build another tower just for sake of buying cool gear to put in it!

Got the new power supply installed a couple of nights ago. It works perfectly! The cable routing's nothing exotic, but it is cleaner than before, and I've got less extra cables lying around in there...

[img width=800 height=533]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/New%20Power%20Supply/IMG_1269.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=533]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/New%20Power%20Supply/IMG_1276.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=533]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/New%20Power%20Supply/IMG_1278.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=533]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/New%20Power%20Supply/IMG_1281.jpg[/img]

[img width=533 height=800]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/New%20Power%20Supply/IMG_1280.jpg[/img]
    Brian

SO you built this in 09', did an update in 10' and 11'

How has this setup been for you so far?
    Better now that you have it over clocked?

Looking to build my own pc in the next couple of months (got a itch to do if after my stepdad popped up with a bunch of parts to build his)

Would you change anything?
    Anything out now that you wish you could put in?

Happy with the AMD?

sorry for the millions of questions, I am just asking a few that have built before I embark on my own endevor...

Well there's a lot to cover, but here are a few bullets to get you started. It's all going to depend on your budget, and what you hope to do with the machine. I'm going to assume you want a gaming machine, but you can let me know differently.

• Overall, this computer has been a great one and will last me a few more years before games start to outpace it enough to build another (same reason I built this in 2009).
    • Most of my decisions back in 2009 revolved around Intel or AMD. Bang for buck (at the time) AMD had a slight edge, and I didn't want to spring for DDR3 memory which was significantly more expensive. These days, you will have to make the same decision. My brother built a SICK machine about 3 months ago with an Intel Core i7-2600k, 12GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 560Ti for about $1200; for about $800-$900 you could build a similar machine around the 6-core Phenom II's (but the Intel is a lot faster).
    • I would go DDR3 now obviously, it's cheap and available.
    • Graphics card (if you're a gamer) should be a GeForce in the $200-$250 range, like a 560Ti or maybe 570 depending on deals available. I'm personally not a big ATI/AMD graphics card fan.
    • Motherboards are difficult to choose, I would go with a Gigabyte personally based on some of the troubles I've had with the Asus board; choice is basically up to you based on the features you want. Newegg's advanced search is a must for this.
    • I'm very happy with the modular power supply I got last, highly recommended.
    • I would consider heavily a SSD for your boot drive if budget allows, they're REALLY fast these days. Maybe one that's under 100GB, just for windows and stuff, and then a 1TB drive like the one I've got for storage.

How's that for a start? One other thing, pay close attention to the MaximumPC best-of-the-best list; it won't steer you wrong! http://www.maximumpc.com/best-of-the-best
    Brian

Thank for the info, I am thinking I will be using it mostly for video and picture editing I find myself taking pictures on the trails more then trekking them in my own truck.

Step-dad just built a pc with an
    Asus Motherboard and Graphics card,
    Intel i7,
    8GB of RAM (max 16)
    120GB SSD
    In a Cooler Master case.
    Windows 7 Professional

I am sure I am missing some details
    but its a sick computer and is working very well for him so far.

I think I struck a deal if I pay half stepdad would help me build the same since his is built for the same purpose but I want to see if I could do anything a little different, don't want to be a complete copy cat lol

Navigator

honestly, i have always been an AMD guy, but Intel really got it right with the new Core Ix series.. i have an I5 laptop that is awesome, and i would love an i7 for a desktop. Motherboard choice will be different every computer builder you ask.. My grandpa (who got me into it) likes ASUS, I personally like Abit but have had really good luck with my current desktop that has a DFI board.

As far as a graphics card goes, get the highest one on this list you can afford http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

RAM same thing, DDR3 is a no brainer, but get the most/highest clock speed you can afford.

Case is entirely personal, and for a Power supply get a good brand one of 500w (absolute minumum) or higher. Modular is very nice, as you dont have to figure out where to put all the wires you arent using.

Do you have a good monitor? There is nothing quite like having a large clear screen when you are photo/video editing. My desktop is viewed on a 22" 1080p HDTV connected via HDMI cable, and I cant say enough awesome about the setup.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I will be using my 37" LED TV as my monitor for editing and a smaller 22" for surfing

SO, what's your budget?
    Brian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast