Thread: Brown Mountain OHV Park NC

Brown Mountain OHV Park NC

Looking for some good rock crawling/technical terrain?...Forget it. Wanna' easy outing where you can be comfortable going by yourself and entertain two 9 year old boys in your stock rig? Then you've found the right place.

Brown Mountain OHV Park will do the trick. Between Morganton and Lenoir NC just off of Hwy. 181, nice place to spend a day in the woods. Trail 1 and Trail 8 are open to 4WD vehicles, Tr. 1 is 5.5mi and Tr. 8 is .6mi. Trail 8 is a bit more challenging and without another vehicle along I stayed off of it this time, next time I go though I think I will find that it's not enough to worry about, but for this trip with the young'uns and no recovery vehicle along, I decided to play it safe (and got stuck anyway ).

Hayden (my boy on the left) and his best buddy Conrad, ready to roll.

Small milestone on the way. (barely broken in, right?)

Parking lot rescue.

Stuffin' it on a trail break with a little attitude.

&#039;94 &#039;YotaRu&#039; 4Runner 3.Slo 5mt<br />&#039;03 &#039;Blubaru&#039; Forester X 4eat<br />&quot;Terrapondus&quot;-The natural tendency to gravitate toward the dirt.

Re: Brown Mountain OHV Park NC

Nice photo op rock, Conrad got up there on his own, but I had to get him down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIJHUBVHByc
    About as tough as it gets.

There are a couple of small shallow mud holes to play in just off to my right, I stayed out since last time cost me 4hrs. of cleaning.

Just before the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sDUAtQVw8
    Gettin' there.

Backed over a stump , get out and look before you back up.

I now have a new muffler.

Rock at the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XooClAVMUWs
    Comin' down the stairs.

Fun day!!! Boys had a blast, and this is home to the infamous Brown Mountain Lights, might have to camp next time.
    &#039;94 &#039;YotaRu&#039; 4Runner 3.Slo 5mt<br />&#039;03 &#039;Blubaru&#039; Forester X 4eat<br />&quot;Terrapondus&quot;-The natural tendency to gravitate toward the dirt.

that muffler pic just adds character

thanks for sharing!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Cool looks like fun. I think my next few years will be similar wheeling because of the little one.

Cool pics and looks like the kids had fun, that's what it's all about! The stump pic is priceless, bummer it took out the muffler though.
    My signature

I've pulled a similar move and messed up an exhaust system as well. It was on my Chevy and a rock instead of a stump. We ended up cutting the exhaust off (from just behind the cat all the way back) and threw it in the back. Let's just say I was cracking up the whole 2.5 hour freeway drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    that muffler pic just adds character

thanks for sharing!
    It did add character, even more when I wired it up with coat hanger 'just in case'. But, it also lost about 2mpg right off the bat and I was also getting a lot of valve noise.

Fortunately, unlike 4x4mike, it was still intact enough not to make any excessive exhaust noise. I'll bet that was a loud ride home.

But, yeah, it was a GREAT day and the boys loved it so it was all worth while.

that looks like fun! you can tell by the pics that the boys are having a blast. looks like you'll just hafta take 'em wheeling every weekend from here on out

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    that looks like fun! you can tell by the pics that the boys are having a blast. looks like you'll just hafta take 'em wheeling every weekend from here on out
    Wish I could take 'em every weekend. But, I'm unemployed right now. I DO try to stick to my owners manual recommendation of "running the vehicle in 4wd at least 10mi. every month". Honey, I'm not going wheelin', I'm performing required maintenance.