Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: how long before your battery is dead?

The most I have ever gotten out of a lead acid battery is maybe 3-5 years, depending on the vehicle. The 4Runner has been a consistent 3 years, the Camry is every 5 (So far, this is battery number 2 on me that I am about to put in).

I would think the hotter weather of Cali would make the battery deplete faster then here in the northeast with the bitter cold to extremely hot and humid days.

Heard great things about Interstate. I believe they now make the Kirkland Signature batteries at Costco (or at least they did).

I have a Diehard Platinum and it's been a great battery. Just be careful with what charger you put on them, that's how I killed my last one.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

You won't hear me complain about getting 5-6 years out of a $60 battery. I was NOT happy paying $170 a pop for gel cell batteries that were lasting just over 1 year.

I picked up a Group 24F Interstate battery at Costco for $82.99. It comes with a free 42 month non-prorated replacement if it dies within that period. Not bad for the money.

Sean, can you explain what you mean on the chargers? I have a battery tender jr that I use if I know the truck will be sitting for a while.
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 10-07-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    The most I have ever gotten out of a lead acid battery is maybe 3-5 years, depending on the vehicle. The 4Runner has been a consistent 3 years, the Camry is every 5 (So far, this is battery number 2 on me that I am about to put in).

I would think the hotter weather of Cali would make the battery deplete faster then here in the northeast with the bitter cold to extremely hot and humid days.

I have never put a new battery in the 98. I bought it with a 2 year old interstate battery in 2010 and it is still under the hood even with it getting the crap baked out of it every summer. Granted when I go back east and it freezes I will probably need a new one quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ken, I have seen and heard that some of the AGM and certainly the Gel Cell batteries need different charging voltages than a standard Lead Acid. I am not sure if I really buy that for the AGM. I killed two die hard batteries that way. I will be buying a new battery charger soon, although it hasn't become much of a problem now that I drive the 4runner regularly.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Ken, I have seen and heard that some of the AGM and certainly the Gel Cell batteries need different charging voltages than a standard Lead Acid. I am not sure if I really buy that for the AGM. I killed two die hard batteries that way. I will be buying a new battery charger soon, although it hasn't become much of a problem now that I drive the 4runner regularly.
    Thanks Sean. I read the FAQ for the battery tender jr and apparently it is compatible with AGM batteries. Mine is just a regular sealed lead acid, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Granted when I go back east and it freezes I will probably need a new one quickly.
    Yup definitely, hear in the Northeast it got brutal cold here for long periods of time, all our vehicles had issues starting in the morning...

I got a pleasant surprise. I checked under the hood of my new 08 highlander and while it needed a jump for the test drive they threw in a brand new interstate battery! Very happy with that dealership

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Before I left Toyota, our supplier for new batteries was switching to Interstate.
    IIRC it was pretty much a relabeled Interstate battery (had Toyota on it but said powered by Interstate or something along those lines)

I keep all my toys on a tender.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast