Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how long before your battery is dead?

Re: how long before your battery is dead?

Those Sears Platinums are expensive at $179, but I'm paying $110 now for the spiral cell type batteries (optima/napa orbital) and they have the same 3-year life as a $60 Walmart battery. So basically I'm getting the worst value possible now.

Here are some things said about the Platinum that seem to apply to my situation:

The P-1 Platinum Automotive Battery from DieHard features 135 minutes of reserve capacity and 880 cold cranking amps. Its corrosion-resistant high quality tin-coated brass terminals provide reliable starting power in all weather conditions. Its rugged, military-grade construction features robust casing for increased compression and offers superior vibration resistance, making it ideal for off-road applications.

Longer off-season storage time - show cars & classic cars

i bought a platnum, so far its been great! my last battery leaked out of the top. alot.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Cant you read the draw on your battery while it sits and the start removing fuses to help identify the source of the draw?

My Red top is killing me too, it will sit for a few days and I'll go out to do something and the thing will be dead. I have an alarm in it so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it.

Im thinking a sears die hard and a solar panel in the dash are up on the list here shortly.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

^ Dont buy the batteries with vents for our trucks, try and find the newer ones (I know deka has them) with the side vents.

BTW if your truck takes a 24F what batt did you use? I tried a 34 a long time ago but it wouldnt work and I didnt wanna mess with the cables.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I can't remember what group size is in there now and I probably won't see the 4Runner for at least another couple of weeks. There seems to be a common trend among these optimas though...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie 00
    Cant you read the draw on your battery while it sits and the start removing fuses to help identify the source of the draw?
    yep, thats how i found out where i had a constant draw.

Our trucks can only take 1 of 2 batteries b/c of the side the positive terminal is.

1. A 35 series which is NOT the correct one, it has to low a CCA rating period for even a 4cyl corolla imho.

2. A 24F/34R series (same battery). Usually around 700cca or better.

Anything else is not properly fit, you have your own cabling you did or something aint right.

Heres what I intend to buy unless sears starts making them: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500rt.htm

i have a series 35. while this is technically not the correct battery, it works great for my application. i will be going to a dual battery setup soon, so i should not have a problem with cca's. plus its never really colder than 20 degrees, and usually never colder than 35.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yea by you it will work fine, here it gets to cold for such a battery to work.

Did you see my link, odyssey batts now make a "34R" which will work for us as it is the same as a 24F.

After sitting in the garage with my headlights on for 3-5 minutes the battery I was bi*@#$ about earlier went so dead the radio wouldn't even work. This was the last $130 battery I will ever buy, it's back to the $60 specials for me--at least I could get more than 2.5 years out of them. The OEM Panasonic battery that my 4Runner came with lasted far longer than anything else I have used, but I think I recall that they do not meet U.S. environmental regulations so they cannot be purchased separately?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast